This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Friday, October 30, was a perfect, splendid, and immaculate day for Ariana Grande’s fandom. That’s when the pop queen dropped her sixth album, positions. This album is not slightly different from her previous albums; it is WAY different. The album consists of songs in which Grande reaches new heights in, mainly when it comes to the sounds and stories within them. It also features collaborations from Doja Cat, The Weeknd, and Ty Dolla $ign. From my experience, this album is addictive (in a good way of course). Ever since the album came out, I have been so attached to it that it feels like I cannot go a day without listening to at least one song from it.

Sex is one of the topics that Grande is really open in discussing in positions. She does so in “34+35” and “nasty.” As a matter of fact, “34+35” basically gives it away. One set of lyrics from the song is, “Got the neighbors yellin’, ‘Earthquake!’ / 4.5 when I make the bed shake.” In “nasty,” Grande sings, “I just wanna make time for ya / Swear it’s just right for ya / Like this p—-y designed for ya / Ten outta five on ya / Know I would sign on the line for ya / Bet I look nice on you / Open my mind for ya / Don’t wanna wait on it / Tonight, I wanna get nasty.” From my perspective, Grande has not directly talked about sex in songs prior to positions, so it is good to see that she has become comfortable directly talking about a topic that should not be seen as a taboo anymore.

The song, “just like magic,” perfectly talks about manifestation. Not only is the music very upbeat and fun, but the lyrics are fantastic at representing the attitude Grande adopts in this song. The verse that goes, “Wake up in my bed, I just wanna have a good day / Think it in my head, then it happens how it should, ayy” encapsulates how planning the way your day should go is what will promise success throughout the day. “Manifest it / I finessed it” basically states that she received what she wanted, and is comfortable knowing she can take what she wants. When Grande sings, “Just like magic, just like magic / Middle finger to my thumb and then I snap it,” she creates a metaphor that compares her manifestations to magic. Her putting her middle finger to her thumb is essentially her getting to work. Grande also talks about how altering your mindset could be a hit or miss for you when she sings, “Redesign your brain / we gon’ make some new habits.” In this song, Grande perfectly provides a dynamic, inspirational anthem about affirming and securing your wishes while figuring out on how to live your best life. 

The last song of the album, “pov,” is a very dreamy, heavenly, and sweet romantic song. Grande’s voice, paired with the calm and soothing rhythm, really sets the romantic tone. In this song, Grande talks about how she is working on becoming fully comfortable with herself, yet her man already loves her for every single thing that she is. One set of lyrics in which Grande bids an ode to this sentiment is when she sings, “I wanna love me / The way that you love me / Ooh, for all of my pretty and all of my ugly too / I’d love to see me from your point of view”. This is the perfect song for every couple-as well as for those singletons who can listen to it and dream of that scenario with their dream partner *inserts laughing-crying emoji here*. 

Also, I must talk about how the songs that serve as the opening and closing of the album, respectively, are good choices. The opening song is “shut up” and the closing song, as stated before, is “pov”. The rhythm of “shut up” mainly consists of orchestral tones, and sounds like it could be part of a Disney movie. The pace and style with which Grande sings to the rhythm really gets you to pay attention to the song, and prepares you to engage with the rest of the album. The dreamy tone of “pov” is like the end of a romantic movie in which the tension is resolved, everything is calm, and the characters and viewers are left satisfied. It is as if “pov” is the conclusion needed for us to relax after the hypeness of the previous songs.

If I had to rate positions, I would definitely give it an infinity out of ten! Everything about it is just so perfect, so immaculate. After first listening to it, you’re just going to want to keep on listening to it and nothing else for a while-that is how good it is. Check out positions on whatever music providing platform you use. Enjoy!

Hello reader! I am Carmilia Moise, and I am a second-year student at Adelphi University. I am majoring in Nursing. My favorite things to do are sing, act, dance, listen to music, and watch films and TV shows. I’m so excited to share my thoughts and likings through my article contributions to Her Campus!