Nicholas Ambruso ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Q: What’s your year and major?

A: I’m a Senior, Communications Major with a concentration in Media Studies.

Q: What activities are you involved in school and outside school?

A: At Adelphi, I was an Orientation Leader during this past Summer of 2016 for the incoming Freshman Class of 2020, I am also President of Phi Sigma Kappa Fraternity here at Adelphi University. I’m involved in Intramural Flag Football as well and I am a past champion. Off campus, I work for a Valet company called Parking Systems. 

Q: What are your hobbies?

A: I enjoy hanging out with my brothers as well as my friends throughout Greek life, playing sports, listening to music, going out in Rockville Centre or New York City with my friends. 

FUN Fact: I have a 8 month old puppy named Gracie.

Q: What do you love about Adelphi?

A: I love the unity aspect of it and how when you’re involved you make so many friends and it’s like everybody knows everybody. I also love making an impact on Adelphi. Being an orientation leader was a very rewarding experience by being able to make a lasting impact and memory on the freshman class and the freshman of my group. I also gained 31 very close new friends and I created memories I will never forget. 

Q: What do you wish to do when you graduate? (What are your goals)

A: To be completely honest I have no idea what I want to do. I want to work in either music or sports. My dream is to work for ESPN, MTV, VH1, or any major record or music company. Whether it be on camera, or behind the scenes in production, the entertainment business is something I want to work in. 

FUN Fact: I’m a HUGE Mets Fan!

Q: Do you have any role models?

A: My role models at home are my parents. Seeing how hard they work to provide for me truly means a lot to me. 

In terms of celebrities I’ve always looked up to Hall of Fame and former New York Mets Catcher Mike Piazza. I grew up playing baseball and I always loved watching Mike play and he was my role model and inspiration for the game. Other than him I’ve always looked up to and been a huge fan of Justin Timberlake. I’ve listened to his music ever since he began with *NSYNC, And just his character and work ethic as well as his talent are truly admirable. 

Q: What’s your favorite place at Adelphi?

A: My favorite place at Adelphi is probably the UC or Motamed field/CRS. The UC is where I go to see all of my friends throughout campus when we get a chance to relax and Motamed field/CRS are where I go to play sports and where I also created lasting memories during the time I was an Orientation Leader. 

FUN Fact: I threw a no hitter when I was 16 years old.

Q: What advice would you give to incoming freshman?

A: GET INVOLVED. Being a commuter especially you need to get involved. I waited a year and a half before I got involved and I regret not joining my organization and getting myself out there sooner. Being in Phi Sigma Kappa and just being a part of Greek Life in general has matured me as a person and changed my life. It was the best decision I’ve ever made. Whether it be Greek life or any other student club or organization you need to get yourself out there. It’s the best way to experience Adelphi and best way to take advantage of everything this school has to offer. 

Q: What is your favorite memory at Adelphi?

A: My favorite memory is being an orientation leader. It was a long stressful month of my life, but looking back it was 4 of the most fun weeks of my life. I created such a bond and strong relationship with the other Orientation leaders and I created memories I will literally never forget. Aside from the fun you also get to be the first person these freshman encounter at Adelphi and you truly are the one who sets the tone for their Adelphi experience. You get to make such an impact on these students lives on such a short amount of time it was such a rewarding experience, I never wanted it to end. 

FUN Fact: I played baseball for 15 years.

Q: What do you think is most important in order to have a great college experience?

A: Get involved. Get yourself out there. Get out of your comfort zone. Meet people, make friends. You need to take advantage of every club, organization, and opportunity it has to offer (which is a ton). 

Q: What do you look for in a partner?

A: Someone who I can have fun with. Good looking, great sense of humor, and someone I can just be myself with. 

FUN Fact: I play in Men’s softball leagues throughout the summer and I play intramural flag.

Hi I'm Liz!! I'm currently a sophomore at Adelphi University and I study communications. I strive to become a journalist or a news reporter someday. Besides being a contributor for HerCampus and studying communications, I have a passion for martial arts and criminal justice. I also love babysitting so I obviously love kids and something I may also do is become a teacher. One fun fact about me is that  I have been studying Ju Jitsu for the past 12 or 13 years and I am currently a second degree brown belt.