This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Hi friends! I know every college student struggles to find time in their schedule to do anything but study and work. I for one stress so much over these things, but what is one thing we can bond over while stressed? Food! When I heard there would be a vegan food festival in my area, I knew this was my time to de-stress. I identify as 100% vegan, and one of my favorite things to do is go out and discover new food! I know right, shocker, the vegan loves to go out and eat. Let me tell you, I’m not the salad, fruit juice, and kale all day all night kind of girl. I love discovering foods comparable to meals I used to eat before I went vegan. The Vegandale Food and Drink Festival is a completely vegan food festival, perfect for absolutely anyone who wants to try some awesome food and be surrounded by such a diverse crowd.

Vegandale Food and Drink Festival originated in Toronto, Canada. The town is self-described as “the mecca for the ethically minded with the best vegan food, goods, and services co-existing on the same block.” Since the festival debuted, it has spread across four cities in the US and Canada by popular demand. Vegans and non vegans alike join together for two days of music, food, and an amazing social atmosphere.

I attended Vegandale on September 29th, in Randall’s Island Park, NYC. It was one of the most unforgettable events I have ever attended. For starters, the weather was beautiful elevating the overall experience to the next level. There was a DJ playing old and new songs everyone enjoyed, while interacting with the audience for dance-offs, hotdog eating contests, and a few drinking games for the 21+ guests. On the lawn, there was volleyball, a huge connect four game board, basketball hoops, horseshoes, and bean toss set up for the guests to enjoy. What made everything more exciting was the platform given to interact with so many diverse people. I met some of the nicest, and caring people I have ever encountered. Everyone joined in to play games together, share their stories, and of course bond over the delicious food. It was such a breath of fresh air to be surrounded and accepted into a community where anybody could be whoever they want and just be loved for their individuality.

Now that the scene has been set, I have to bring out the main act…the food. I have set up this list of five vendors I particularly found to stand out from the rest. Keep in mind there were 125+ vendors, so just because one didn’t make the list, doesn’t mean the food was any less amazing!

1. MYTHOLOGY DINER (Location: Toronto, ON) Instagram: mythologydiner

Mythology Diner offers classic comfort foods such as shakes, burgers, french toast, and so much more. They have mastered veganizing classic diner favorites while still maintaining impeccable quality and flavor. I tried their cinnamon sugar deep-fried doughnut holes, and let me tell you they were absolutely delicious. They were just a perfect sweetness, yet not too overwhelming. The portion size was perfect for sharing, and they tasted just as flavorful as they look.

2.) MARTY’S V BURGER (Location: NYC) http://martysvburger.com

Marty’s V Burger was a vendor I was looking forward to in particular. They offer burgers of all kinds, mac and cheese, drumstix, and cheese fries. Their storefront is only a 20 minute walk from Penn Station, so I will definitely have to try more from their menu. I ate the classic burger with special sauce and fries. The special sauce tasted similar to chipotle mayo, so it was a perfect dipping sauce for fries as well. The “mock meat” burger was so incredible, my non vegan friend said it was the closest burger to tradition beef burgers. I highly recommend trying at least the classic burger if you stumble across Marty’s.

3.) SOUTHERN FRIED VEGAN (Location: Los Angeles, California)

Southern Fried Vegan exceeded any and all expectations I held for their food. They offer southern comfort foods like mashed potatoes, collard greens, mac and cheese, ribs, roasted corn and more. Southern Fried Vegan has perfectly crafted their method to cultivating the very best vegan fried chicken. I tried their “soul bowl” which included mac and cheese, roasted corn, and a piece of fried chicken on top. The entire dish was flavored with sriracha mayo, and I could truly taste the home cooked style I love in particular. I was speechless after trying their food because it was some of the best vegan food I have ever eaten.

4.) EGGLOO (Location: Chinatown, NYC) Instagram: myeggloo

Eggloo is not only a dessert shop that offers vegan and non vegan options, but they have a unique style of desserts. They offer traditional desserts with an Asian twist in the heart of Chinatown. The waffle-like cones served with ice cream are called Gai Dan Jai, which translates to little eggs in Chinese. The waffle resembles an egg like pattern throughout giving them the name of egg waffles. They also serve different desserts at their storefront, as well as bubble teas. I tried The OG cone- and pictures speak louder than words for this one. The dessert consisted of a waffle, vanilla ice cream, fruity pebbles, and strawberries. I ordered mine without strawberries because I’m allergic (yes I am a vegan allergic to fruit, trust me.. I know confusing right) This dessert was so delicious, and very photogenic if I do say so myself. I absolutely recommend anyone to try this amazing dessert!

5.) CHAMPS DINER (Location: Brooklyn, NY) Instagram: champsdiner

Last but not least we have Champs Diner, and they, of course, did not disappoint. I have actually visited the diner in Brooklyn previous to the festival. It is actually one of the places I bring all my friends to because there is something for everyone. Champs Diner offers classic american foods all veganized. In particular, they have shakes in all flavors, a wide assortment of breakfasts, burgers, and appetizers to share. To finish off my day, I chose the peanut butter fudge brownie, which was beautifully crafted. The brownie was soft and fudgy, while not crumbly, and the peanut butter was not overpowering. I loved this dessert, and it was perfect to finish off the day on a sweet note.

We have reached the conclusion of my experience at Vegandale Food and Drink Festival for 2018, so I thank you for experiencing it with me (kind of). Final thoughts: I will 100% be attending next year and possibly try another host city. Not only was the food so unbelievable, but the atmosphere was also so peaceful and relaxing. Sometimes we can get so caught up in busy routines, we forget to take a second to breathe and have fun. I sat right by the water in between parts of the day to just take in the beauty of my surroundings while enjoying some delicious treats. I challenge everyone to make time for yourself, go out and experience different cultures, and step out of your comfort zone. It is a total game changer for your mood, so there’s nothing to lose.

Hello everyone! My name is Megan Rasiak, and I am a senior nursing student at Adelphi University in Garden City, NY. I have been apart of HerCampus since 2018, and I love writing about fun topics, advice sessions, late night thoughts, and feel good articles. I am just your average nursing student who loves vegan food, music, and random adventures. I try to write my articles as if you are coming along with me through my journey of self-discovery, college life, nursing and everything in between.