Make Up Essentials 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Walking into your local Sephora, Ulta or Mac store can be overwhelming at times. Need a new foundation but not sure which works best for you? Asking the employees for help but feeling like your questions aren’t being answered? Below is a break down of the make up essentials and holy grail products:

1)   Foundation:

·      Oily skin type: A great foundation for this skin type is l’oreal infallible stay-matte liquid foundation! Not only does it last long but it reduces the shine to your skin as well.

·      Dry Skin: Covergirl 3 in 1 liquid foundation. This foundation is a primer, concealer and a foundation all in one!

2)   Mascara: Any drug store or high end mascara can be intensified and give you a whole new look by using an eye lash curling before you apply your mascara!

3)   Lipstick: Mac offers a great variety of colors and very good quality lipsticks, looking for a great fall shade, try Macs “Sin”. How about that perfect “Kylie Jenner” lip; Macs “Velvet Teddy paired with Macs lip liner “Swirl” is a great option! If Mac is a bit on the pricey side for you Maybelline has a great line of lipsticks and some of them are comparable to those from Mac!

4)   Eye Shadow: My personal holy grail eye shadow pallet is the “Lorac Pro Pallet” you are given a variety of color options. Of Course Urban Decay “Naked pallets” are a great choice as well! Good quality eye shadows for a cheaper price can be found online by the band name of “Makeup Geek”! 

5)   Blush: Maybelline has a great line of blushes available in several different shades for all skin tones!

6)   Contour/Highlight: Contouring is very popular right now, for someone who is looking to get into contouring Anastasia Beverly Hills has a great contour kit. NYX also has a good contour kit available for half the price!

7)   Eyeliner: Looking for the perfect eyeliner that will last all day? For high-end brands Anastasia Beverly Hills Gel Liners are great, Maybelline has a similar gel liner that works wonders as well!

I am a student at Adelphi University pursing a degree in communications. I love all things beauty and lifestyle related! I have danced and acted my entire life and have a passion for stage and film.