Kiss or Diss: Gossip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

If you claim to have never gossipped about anyone before, it’s probably a lie. We’ve all done it; we’re all guilty. Especially as girls, sometimes it seems like second nature to poke our noses into where they don’t belong. This can lead to uncomfortable situations when you hear something about somebody whom you happen be to close with. When is it socially acceptable to spread gossip and when should you keep your lips zipped? Continue reading to find out! 

Petty gossip

If it’s nothing life-changing, such as “so-and-so’s haircut looks horrible” or “ew, what is she wearing?”, it’s probably best to stay out of the petty, elementary school gossip. There’s absolutely no dire pass on advice that truly won’t do anything but hurt another person.

Pregnancy

Pregnancy is a sensitive topic, so it’s best to not spread any pregnancy rumors. Even if it’s not a rumor, avoid getting involved in the situation. The soon-to-be mother will most likely wish to have control over how her news is delivered and who it’s delivered to. It’s none of your business; therefore, stay out of it.

Cheating

Another extremely sensitive topic is when a close friend of yours is being cheated on in a relationship. This is one instance where it may be beneficial to your friend to come forward with what you know because nobody deserves to be cheated on. If you don’t want to be directly involved, at least drop subtle hints to prevent a greater heartbreak in the long run.

Fake friends

There will always be fake, two-faced people who claim to be friends with people and then hate behind their backs. Like cheating, if you hear a so-called friend start a rumor about somebody you’re close with, it may be better to allow them to know in order to cut that person out of their lives. After all, “don’t fear the enemy that attacks you but the fake friend that hugs you.

Don’t gossip, period.

Generally, it’s best to stay out of gossip as much as possible. As tempting as it may be to pass on a juicy rumor, remember that gossip says more about the person spreading it. Unless you think will it is beneficial to share the information that you know to another person, it’s probably safest to keep it to yourself. Think before you speak and leave the gossip to Gossip Girl.

Hey everyone! I'm Juls (yes, short for Julie), and I'm a junior biology major with a double minor in chemistry and mathematics at Adelphi University. I'm also a writer and the head of the editorial team for Her Campus Adelphi. I've been running for 6 years and am a (beginner) Bikram yoga junkie, so I guess you can say I'm also a fitness enthusiast. If I'm not out for a run or in the yoga studio, you can catch me volunteering at my local hospital, laughing with my friends while out for coffee, or tuning in for the latest episode of Dancing With the Stars. Feel free to say hi if you see me around; I'm most likely that girl with a pair of sunglasses on top of her head even if it's cloudy outside.