How to Pick Up Where You Left Off On an Unfinished Writing Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

It can be very easy to start a writing project and forget about it a few weeks after having started it. This has absolutely happened to me- so, you’re not alone! I’ve begun writing novels, short stories, and poetry that I’ve never looked at again. I’ve meant to go back and edit it, add more, or proofread, but sometimes, I just can’t find the motivation to. I’ve been thinking about this topic for a while, so here are some tips on how to pick up where you left off on an unfinished writing project.

#1: Make an outline

Making an outline can help you to sort your thoughts in regard to what you want to add to your novel, short story, poem, etc. Sometimes, we have so many ideas in our minds that they’re easy to forget about or feel overwhelmed by. Writing down your ideas in categories or in the order you’d like to draft them can definitely help you to pick up where you left off on a writing project.

#2: Watch a show or movie that’s related to your writing topic

I know it sounds unrelated, but sometimes, seeing visual content that is similar in genre or topic to what we’re writing about can help. If I’m writing a rom com novel, watching rom com movies will sometimes put me into more of a “writing mood”. It’s all about letting the ideas flow and having some indirect inspiration to pick up that pen and paper again.

#3: Go out!

Sometimes, we don’t want to pick up where we left off on a writing project because we’ve simply been thinking about it for too long and have lost the motivation to open the document or notebook, or we’ve developed some writer’s block! That is absolutely okay. I recommend going out with some friends, grabbing a coffee, or even going on a walk so as not to overthink ideas or feed into the writer’s block. The ideas will come, and so will the motivation to write again. In the meantime, enjoy nature or company from friends or family!

#4: You can always choose to restart the project

Sometimes, we don’t feel the need to pick up where we left off on a writing project because we simply don’t enjoy the way it turned out. It is absolutely okay to restart and pick up on page one! When I restart, I tend to have a fresh mind full of new ideas to work with after having some time to think.

Whatever the case is, and whichever advice you take from this article, remember that writing is a process that can’t be rushed! It takes time to pick up where you left off on an old project, and that is allowed. Let your process flow; let it come to you at the times that it does. Thank you for reading!