Kristen Bryant-Colorful Medicine Jumble
Kristen Bryant-Colorful Medicine Jumble
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Career

An Honest Q&A With A Pre-Med Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

As an English major, I can say that my science-based knowledge is capped at a high school (and Grey’s Anatomy) level, so I thought it would be interesting to take a look into the life of someone who’s dedicating their academic career to the subject! I interviewed my good friend, Chloe Sweeney, to see how her college experience compares to mine as someone who’s hoping to have a career in medicine someday. Here’s what she has to say about her classes, picking her major, and what it’s really like being a pre-med student:  

There are doctors standing in the hallway of a hospital.
Oles Kanebckuu
I: Hey Chloe! Tell me a little about your major and how long it took you to decide on it?

C: Hi! As of right now, my major is neuroscience, which is the study of the nervous system. So that would be our brains, spinal cords, and the rest of our nerves throughout our bodies. I actually decided to pursue this major a little over a year ago, by the end of my freshman fall semester.

I: Did you consider a different major in another field of study?

C: All throughout my high school career, there was no class I enjoyed more than biology. So, when I first entered college, I was pretty set on being a biology major. I even created a semester-by-semester schedule for all four years of college based around that major. However, I realized that once I started looking at the upper-level biology courses, they weren’t of much interest to me. I ended up talking to a friend of mine who was a junior at the time, and they told me all about the neuroscience major and how it’s essentially a combination of biology and psychology courses. I’ve always had an interest in psychology as well, so I looked into it some more and decided neuroscience was right for me. If I could twist this into a piece of advice, I would say to not be afraid to change majors or even career paths throughout college. Follow your heart!

Reading For School
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

I: What are some things you like to do when you’re not catching up on homework or working in the lab?

C: Honestly, sometimes it feels like all that’s all I do! But when I am taking a break from work, I like binging practically any show I can find on Netflix. (I’m currently watching Derry Girls — pretty funny!) I also really like to write! I write for my school’s publication every month, and it’s honestly a great way to get away from the stresses that science courses can cause.

Netflix symbol on TV with a hand holding a remote
Photo by freestocks.org on Unsplash

I: What is your favorite class that you’re currently taking?

C: My favorite class that I’m taking this semester would have to be an honors seminar centered around public policy within New York City. Essentially, we’re going to be spending the semester studying the methods with which policy analysts decide upon laws within the city. The course will culminate in a conference the class will be attending and speaking at, where we’ll all be presenting potential policies to enact within NYC as a way of fixing an issue of our choosing. I’m excited to choose my topic, see how far I can take it, and see the reactions of my fellow classmates and students from other campuses at the eventual conference!

Canal Street Station Signage
Ana Paula Nardini / Pexels

I: Do you have a specialty that you want to focus on? 

C: Honestly, it feels like my specialty of choice changes by the week. For a while, I was thinking about orthopaedic surgery, then dermatology, and now I’m thinking about ophthalmology. I would like to just get into medical school first, and then I’ll worry about choosing a specialty, haha! Step by step!

I: What is your favorite thing about your major?

C: Besides the curriculum, I appreciate my major’s emphasis on gaining laboratory experience. To fulfill the neuroscience major, you have to complete some number of credits of research, meaning you have to work in a research lab on campus. I’ve been in a research lab for a year now, and I think it’s a great experience to have, especially if you’re pre-med. It’s a great way of taking the knowledge you’ve gained and techniques you’ve learned in your biology and chemistry courses and applying them to a setting where real progress is being made towards solving some problem or discovering some unknown.  

I: Do you have any advice for someone considering a major in science?

C: Don’t expect to get an A in every class, especially if you were one of those students who aced every thing in high school. College is hard! And science courses can be especially hard. Put in your best effort and be kind to yourself. Also, if you’re pre-med, don’t feel like you have to be some sort of science major. If there’s some other major that peaks your interest, whether it be English, history, etc., pursue it! There are plenty of students that major in something unrelated to science, fulfill all their pre-med requirements, and go on to medical school. There is no perfect medical school application. If anything, from what I’ve heard from medical school admissions representatives, they see right through a student who fulfills the “checklist” of things medical schools want. Be true to yourself, get involved in whatever interests you, and make an application that’s unique and 100% you! That will stand out more than anything else.

Pills Spilling
Ellen Gibbs / Spoon

Hey there! My name's Isabella and I'm a senior at Adelphi University. I'm an English major with a concentration in Creative Writing, and while I love most fiction, I’m a sucker for love stories. When I’m not reading (or writing) said love stories, you can find me drawing, binging New Girl and Gilmore Girls, or getting coffee with my friends!