Heidi Peña Ortiz ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

This week, we decided to shine the spotlight on Heidi Peña Ortiz. Heidi’s passion to spread world peace and increase diversity is exactly what we need today in our world. Her drive and committment is inspiring in itself and it’s our honor to introduce you to Ms. Peña Ortiz. 

Year: Sophomore

Major: Psychology

Hometown: Matanzas, Bani, Republica Dominicana

What are you involved in on campus?

I’m the Vice President of the Levermore Global Scholars Student Leadership Council. I’m also the Vice President of Females of Culture United for Success (FOCUS). I also serve as the public relations officer for Black Students United (BSU). I am on the Racial Justice Alliance committee. I work very closely with the Collaboration Project though I am not a member, but I am often a speaker at their events. 

As President of Latino Student Association (LSA), what’s been one accomplishment thus far that you’re most proud of?

Being able to bring back a club to Adelphi’s campus, which represents the Latino demographic, and being able to give back a voice to Latinos on and off campus itself has been such a great accomplishment for me. One of our earliest events, while we were still in the New Organization Cohort with CSI was an event called Long Island Students Stand for Educational Equality, which we did with the Collaboration Project, brought in quests from the Long Island Immigrant Student Association, the Center for Central American Refugees, and pro- NY Dream Act activists to speak about the Dream Act and the discrimination of immigrants in the public educational system, which is often overlooked because it is happening to undocumented people(s).

What is your favorite thing about Adelphi?

My favorite thing about Adelphi is the Levermore Global Scholars Program. I really have found a home there and the community is just really supportive and welcoming. I vibe with them.

What do you like to do during your free time?

I like to read and I like to listen to blues and smooth jazz.

What’s your dream job?

My dream job is to be a peace keeping strategist under Kofi Annan, I know it’s really specific… I think it could happen. 

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?

The Central African Republic as an aid and peacekeeper

What’s your favorite song?

Gloomy Sunday by Billie Holiday. No other song will ever capture that much emotion. 

Who do you look up to?

Kofi Annan. He was the former Secretary-General of the United Nations and is a Nobel Peace Prize Laureate among other things. His mission to create a more peaceful world is strongly embedded in my personal goals. 

What’s your life motto?

“Beyond crossing the Ribicon.” To cross the Rubicon means to get to a point of no return, and in doing so committing oneself to one path. I dream beyond the point of crossing the Rubicon; to cause positive change through the integrity and committment through action. 

What’s the best piece of advice that you’ve ever been given?

Above all things, be yourself.

Fun fact?

I play the trombone and taught myself how to read music. 

Carolyn Garcia is a Junior at Adelphi University. She was part of the Her Campus High School Journalism and Publicity Ambassador program during her junior year of high school and that opportunity was what allowed her to discover her passion of writing for media. Since then, she's become a Social Media rep for Seventeen, a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com, a Campus rep for Rent the Runway, a contributor for TheDaily411.com, and a Campus Ambassador for CAMBIO #BUILTBYGIRLS She's now the publicity/social media coordinator for Her Campus Adelphi, which she couldn't be more excited about. If you're interested in becoming best friends with her, you should tell her you love Taylor Swift and Chocolate Mint Tea.