Gerard Jewels ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Q: What’s your year and major?

A: I’m currently in my 5th year because I’m taking my time as a Communications Major.

Q: What activities are you involved in school and outside school?

A: I love assisting people, such as assisting people in the Communications Department. I’m more active outside in the Preservation area. I’m part of both Railroad Museums and Railroad Historical societies on Long Island such as the Railroad Museum of Long Island and the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum.

Q: What are your hobbies?

A: My Hobbies include alot of railroad related things. As you can see, my life revolves around trains. I build model trains, collect Railroad Memorabilia, and read up on Railroad Mergers because I’m a nerd. I also do film photography because its a dying art and I personally feel that in 50 years, when I’m 70 years old, I’m probably going to be the last person doing such a beautiful art.

FUN Fact: I’ve built over 30 model trains starting at the age of 6.

Q: What do you love about Adelphi?

A: I love a lot of things about Adelphi, but I have to say my favorite is the people. Out of all of the schools I have visited, the people at Adelphi were the most polite. They would hold the door for you, they say please and thank you, they seem overall happy, and I like that.

Q: What do you wish to do when you graduate? (What are your goals)

A: My goal is to eventually work for the railroad doing freight. That’s been my dream since I was young; to be a Locomotive Engineer. But as a back up, I would like to work for a news agency, preferably CBS because I’ve watched them my entire life and would be overjoyed to work for them.

Q: Do you have any role models?

A: My Uncle Don has been my role model my entire life. He was the kindest person and was a wonderful man. He basically made me who I am today. I remember when I was little, he would come over sometimes and my mother always told him “Dont give Gerard any candy, he is already hyper as it is!” and when she would walk away, he would call me over “Hey, Hey kid, I got something for ya, you like Starburst or Skittles?” and whatever I didn’t take he would give to my brother. He passed away last year and there isnt a day that goes by that I dont think of him and how much I miss him.

FUN Fact: I’ve been doing Film Photography now since senior year of high school (6 years).

Q: What’s your favorite place at Adelphi?

A: I’d have to say, either the video editing rooms on the 4th floor of Bloggett, or the Equipment room. The 4th floor rooms are so quiet and nice, I can concentrate on my work and get stuff done, and for that equipment room, I see everyone there and get to say hello and meet new people. Not only is that room the equipment room and storage, it’s a place where almost every communications student and staff member come in and say hello to his or her friends.

Q: What advice would you give to incoming freshman?

A: The only thing I have to say is not to be nervous. I was and I didnt make many friends as a result. But now that I’ve gotten used to Adelphi, I know so many people around campus that I practically can’t go anywhere without saying hello to someone.

Q: What is your favorite memory at Adelphi?

A: This is gonna sound kind of corny, but thats like picking your favorite child. I cherish my memories like people cherish their favorite things. I have so many to count that its nearly impossible to go through them all. Memories ranging from when I dormed as a freshman, sitting in my room with my roommates, watching them play games on the Xbox, when one of them lost they would curse up a storm, to just hanging out in the Equipment room in Bloggett, to seeing the Cherry Blossoms bloom in the spring, there’s so many memories I have that are all wonderful that its hard to pick one out of them.

FUN Fact: My friends and I go on special trips specifically to see trains. States I’ve been to to do this include New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Upstate New York, Jersey, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Oregon, and Washington. After saying all that, I’ve never left the country.

Q: What do you think is most important in order to have a great college experience?

A: I’d have to say that for me personally, it’s the people you get to know and hang out with. If you get to know good people and you’re a nice person, then everyone will treat you so nicely, but I’ve seen some mean people that a lot of people cant tolerate and they end up not enjoying their time at this school because everyone is “mean to them.” Yeah, you’re gonna meet some mean people everywhere, but here, if you’re generally a nice person, most people will like you.

Q: Favorite Adelphi Professor?

A: I have two favorites. Terrance Ross and Sal Primeggia hands down. They are the coolest professors and even cooler when you get to know them. I always say hello to them even though I have no classes with them and catch up. Its always entertaining to see them.

Q: Favorite food?

A: All of my friends know that all I basically eat is french fries, cheeseburgers, and pizza. And somehow, I’m only 135 lbs.

Q: Favorite type of music?

A: I have a few favorites. Classic rock, like Simon and Garfunkle and the Rolling Stones. But my all-time favorite is music like “God is an Astronaut” and Ulrich Schnauss. My favorite song is called “Fragile” by God is an Astronaut. There’s something about that song that helps me relax. I can close my eyes, clear my head, and just dream to that song.

FUN Fact: I’m currently learning how to shoot, not still pictures, but motion picture. At this moment, I’m trying to advocate for a class on shooting Motion picture for the communications department, and so far I’ve got a few people on board for this.

Hi I'm Liz!! I'm currently a sophomore at Adelphi University and I study communications. I strive to become a journalist or a news reporter someday. Besides being a contributor for HerCampus and studying communications, I have a passion for martial arts and criminal justice. I also love babysitting so I obviously love kids and something I may also do is become a teacher. One fun fact about me is that  I have been studying Ju Jitsu for the past 12 or 13 years and I am currently a second degree brown belt.