Wellness > Mental Health

Gentle Reminders for When You’re Having a Bad Mental Health Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

“Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting their own battle.”

This is one of the quotes I try to live by, because it’s consistently true. We never know what someone else may be going through, especially when it comes to mental health issues. Some people are very open about it, and some aren’t as much. I know for me, when my brain gets the better of me, it can feel very lonely and it’s hard to reach out to the people I know love and care about me. Whether you’re the first type of person I mentioned or the second, it’s important to remember a few things when your depression, anxiety, or any other mental health issue gives you a hard time.This is what I know I need to hear when I’m at my worst, and hopefully you can find some comfort in it as well.

1. Be kind to yourself

Your mental health does not define you. But, at this moment, it is a reality that you’re living. I know that often times, I would get so mad at myself for being “so sad for no reason.” At the end of the day, this type of mean self-talk is only going to make you feel worse. So whether you’re hating on yourself for feeling a certain way, or you just can’t seem to see the best in yourself, take a step back and try to negotiate with that hateful self-talk. I say negotiate because sometimes it’s hard to get rid of when you’re feeling low. Even if you’re able to stop yourself from saying one or two things a day that could be hurtful, that’s more than before! Changing the way you talk to yourself will change your entire mindset, but take it bit by bit. It won’t happen overnight, but it will happen.

2. You’re doing great!

You may be saying, “How would YOU know if I’m doing great, especially if I’m not feeling it?” I know you’re doing great, just simply because you’re reading this article. Celebrate the little things you DO accomplish, instead of the things you don’t. Did you get out of bed this morning, even though it was hard? If you did, that is great! Did you do something scary, like ordering food on the phone or anything else that invokes anxiety in you? YOU’RE DOING GREAT! Even by reading this article, you’re taking steps to feel better. Sometimes we don’t hear it enough, but I’m proud of you and I know you’re doing the best you can.

3. Not all days will be like this

It may feel like this is it, that this is how you’ll feel for the rest of your life. But think about it, all the bad days you’ve had in the past, you’ve made it through to today! You have a track record of 100% up until this point, and you will continue to keep that record. It may feel hard now, hell, it may feel impossible. But an hour from now is a new hour, tomorrow is a new day. It could be the best day of your life tomorrow, or even a couple hours from now. Find peace in the fact that what you feel right now is 100% temporary.

4. You make a difference just by being you

You may not be feeling important right now, but just because you exist, someone else’s life is infinitely better. It’s hard to see sometimes, and people won’t always tell you, but your personality makes other people’s lives better, there is no doubt about it. When I’m feeling low, that’s the first thing I always forget, but it’s also the thing that makes me feel a little bit better. Knowing that you impact the world positively is one of the most rewarding feelings, so here I am, telling you that YOU make a difference in this world, just by existing. Your smile, your laugh, your passion, your sheer existence brightens the days of people around you. Never forget that.

These are just some of the things that I like to be reminded of when I’m having a bad mental health day, and I really hope you can find some comfort in these! Know that someone is always there for you, and you are never truly alone. Keep moving forward and doing the best you can with what you got!