This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

If you’re a commuter, you know the pain of having to wake up an hour earlier than you would just to make it to class on time. If you drive, you know that parking at Adelphi is a disaster. If you use public transportation, you have the shuttle schedule on deck at all times. Whether you live 30 minutes away or 2 hours, you know the struggle. And with that struggle, you’ve likely formed a routine; a routine that classifies you as one of these four commuters.

1. The Ghost

The Ghost is someone who goes to school simply and only for class. They are NEVER on campus unless they have to be. Once they’re done for the day, they’re done. If their day ends at 12:30 pm, you will not see them at 12:31 pm. Unless you’re in the same class or are friends with them, you wouldn’t think they go to school. Clubs who? Sports games where? The Ghost doesn’t know them, has never heard of them, and is halfway home before you can say MyAULife.

2. The Resident

This commuter pretty much lives on campus. They’re always here. You see them in class, at the gym, at club meetings, in the dorms – everywhere, and at any time. They’ve had a couple sleepovers…or two…or a month’s worth. Their resident friends wonder why they don’t just dorm already since they’re basically another roommate. People mistake them for a resident all the time. Hey [The Resident commuter] do you live in Earle? No, they don’t, but they sure look like they do. Late Night at Post Hall is regular for them, and half of their belongings are at school anyways – as far as we know, they’re an RA.

3. Car-Bound Commuter  

The Car-Bound Commuter is, you guessed it, always in their car. You can find them sleeping, eating, sitting, jamming to music, and most likely Snapchatting, in their Honda Accord. You wonder if you’ve ever seen them walking or standing up or… anywhere else besides in their vehicle. You most often catch them when they’re chilling in the parking lot, so it looks like all they do is find a place to park and sit in it. They might be part of the reason why the rest of us have to circle around five times to find a spot. For real though, finding a spot on campus can feel damn-near impossible sometimes. Shoutout to the Car-Bound Commuter for finding a space in the first place.

4. Public Transportation Guru

This commuter is the master of the Metro, the sensei of the subway, and the shaman of the shuttle. They know, without missing a beat, every schedule to every method of public transportation they take or know of. They’re on point with the times for the shuttle, train, bus, and probably the airplanes at JFK. They know how to get where you need to go. To all those commuters with broken down cars or those taking the train for the first time, the Public Transportation Guru can give you perfect insight on what to expect and how to transport like a boss.

Commuters are dynamic like all people are, so if you don’t fit into one of these types, you at the very least know someone who does. Whether we drive, take the train, are never on campus besides class, or practically live on campus, we’re a bunch of movers and shakers that college would be a lot less fun without.

Valencia Saint-Louis is a Senior at Adelphi University, majoring in Communications with a concentration in Media Studies. She is passionate about living well, supporting and motivating others, being an active leader, and educating others through entertainment. Building effective teams, promoting helpful resources and services, and creating meaningful content are essential pillars of Valencia's professional vision.