Four Girl Power Books You Need to Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Books are the gateway of learning and can provide an imaginary experience for its readers. Also, books have the power to stir up our emotions or leave us wondering about the cliff-hanging ending. However, when reading books with a strong female lead, it provides us with empowerment and encouragement. In case you need some female empowerment, here is a list of four girl power books you need to read:

Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins– Living in a starving district; Katniss Everdeen does whatever needs in order to survive. This includes volunteering to attend the Hunger Games after her sister is chosen. While her and her counterpart Peeta, try to out beat members of other districts who have trained for the Hunger games, Katniss sees it as a death sentence. However, Katniss has been close to death before, so her survival skills come as second nature.

Divergent Series by Veronica Roth – In a post-apocalyptic Chicago, Beatrice (Tris) explores with her identity especially when society defines its citizens by their social and personality-related affiliation attempting to remove any threat of anyone becoming independent and threatening the population’s safety. However, Beatrice bears a secret that might help her save the ones she loves even if it might destroy her.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson– Mikael Blomkvist is a well-known financial journalist whose life crumbles rapidly around him. In order to get his reputation back he is offered a deal by an old-school-titan of Swedish industry. As always there is a catch and Mikael has to spend a year researching a disappearance that has been unsolved for almost four decades. He requires the help of an investigator with a cache of authority issues who stumble upon a girl with the dragon tattoo.

City of bones by Cassandra Clare– After witnessing a murder done by three teenagers covered by strange tattoos, Clary Fray realizes she cannot get any help from authority because the murders are invisible. To make matters worse, there was no evidence to indicate the murder occurred especially since the body disappears. As Clary keeps crossing paths with the Shadowhunters, she learns they’re interested in her and her mother. 

Let’s keep that girl power going!

I am currently working for Chernoff Diamond, a financial consulting firm. I have a passion for writing and going to the gym. My main mission is to utilize my writing and journalism skills to help advocate for the underprivileged. With determination and hard work, I am motivated to travel around the world and learn about people's stories in hope to become more knowledgeable about the world.