stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The Forgotten Borough’s Heroin Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Staten Island: formally known as the “Forgotten Borough,” since it is the only borough that is not connected with the rest through the subway system. This is a borough you don’t hear about too often which is why everyone usually forgets about it. However, there has been a heroin addiction crisis that has shined a bad light on Staten Island.

In Richmond County, Staten Island, half of all drug arrests are due to the possession or selling of heroin.  Staten Island has the highest rate of heroin and opioid addiction in all of New York City, and it also has the highest rates of overdoses. In 2015, there have been about 120 heroin overdoses in Staten Island alone, and that number is gradually increasing.

There has been an increase in drug abuse in wealthy neighborhoods in Staten Island. While many can assume that drug abuse is only found in bad neighborhoods, that is not the case in Staten Island. Police officers patrol towns like Tottenville, Great Kills, and Arden Heights and randomly stop cars to search for possible drugs they may or may not be carrying. Police officers not only stop adults but teenagers and kids as well since many start drugs as young as 13 years old.

Heroin can decrease your dental health, cause severe constipation, cause sleeping problems, cause a loss of appetite and malnutrition, and can cause a decrease in sexual functioning. It has been the cause of many deaths and will continue to increase if those who suffer from heroin addiction do not receive the help they need.

If you or a loved one has a heroin addiction problem, know that there are organizations that help those who struggle with the same addiction. Hope is not lost for those who are willing to seek help. Heroin destroys lives, and you do not need it. What many don’t know is that all it takes is one pill to get hooked. After you get addicted, it is hard to overcome it alone, that’s why it is important to get help from a group or have a strong support system at home.

If you or a loved one is seeking help, here are a few support groups that can start your path to recovery:

Staten Island:

Addiction Recovery Group

Narcotics Anonymous

Hi, my name is Gabby. I am currently a Junior at Adelphi University. I am a psychology major and I wish to pursue a career in child psychology. I am originally from Staten Island, New York. I am also on the Equestrian team at Adelphi. I am a coffee fanatic and enjoy yoga. I enjoy having movie nights and staying in. I love everything Disney and my favorite Disney princess is Ariel from The Little Mermaid.