rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Happy finals season! This is going to be a survival guide for finals week since I’m sure your self-care levels are going to be a little low with all those exams, papers, presentations, etc.

1. Sleep

I know you’re going to be tempted to stay up until ungodly hours studying but sleep is so important. Put the books down and get some shut eye. Your brain and your health will thank you later. Try to start studying earlier in the day so you can hit the brakes around an hour or so before you go to bed. Take that time to just decompress so you can sleep peacefully. Watch an episode of your favorite show. Read a book. Listen to music. Meditate. Just let your brain breathe a little.

2. Make a study schedule

It’s very easy to get frazzled and disorganized during the semester but especially during finals season. Sit down and create a study schedule. Make a list of everything you have to get done and when all of your exams are. Plan out when you are going to get everything done so you’re so not cramming last minute. Don’t overwork your brain at the time when you need it to work its hardest. It is also proven that spacing out your studying is way better than cramming. As much as we all love some good ol’ procrastination, don’t procrastinate too much.

3. Take some you-time

Do not spend all day, everyday studying. Make sure you leave some time for yourself in there. Go get lunch with friends. Get a workout in – not that I do this even when it’s not finals season but you know the benefits of physical activity blah blah blah. Don’t overwork yourself to the point of a breakdown. You are more important than your grades. Even if it’s just a few laps around the library, just make sure to take some breaks.

4. Don’t forget to eat

I am known to get overly absorbed in what I’m doing and forget to eat until late in the afternoon. But your brain and your body need fuel to work!. Get some healthy snacks to pick at while you study. However, while snacks are always nice, make sure you include some time in there for a balanced meal or two.

And most importantly…

Remember, no exam is more important than your well-being. It is perfectly normal to want to do well but it’s not the end of the world if you don’t. Just do the best that you can. Good luck everyone!

I am a current freshman interdisciplinary major at Adelphi University. I am taking courses in psychology, communications, English, and even a few in anthropology! I have a passion for writing, reading, and the mental health and lgbtq+ communities. My goal for my writing to help at least at least one person feel better, so I hope that person is you!