#FiestyFloridian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Name: Alexis Blecher

Year: Senior (graduating early in December)

Major/minor: Communications, Journalism concentration

Career goals: Ultimately I would love to be a foreign affairs (domestic works too) reporter for a publication like the New York Times or Politico. If I don’t end up exactly in my field, I’d love to work with a service organization that provides aid for marginalized people (like Planned Parenthood, the UNHCR, or the International Rescue Committee)

Netflix Binge: It wasn’t on Netflix, but my record binge was Game of Thrones. I finished the entire show (up until the current season) in two weeks. As for actual Netflix binges, I love those weird Netflix Documentary films. Pretty much seen all of them at this point.

Favorite pick me up movie: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off will remedy any ailment or strife.

Favorite Song atm: I recently saw Hamilton on Broadway, so the entire soundtrack is on loop in my head pretty much all the time.

Favorite book: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Hobbies/Passions: I love to read, write, nap, and sleep. I love coffee and I’m very passionate about working for social justice and systemic change/progression.

Defining life experience: Three of my best friends and I drove upstate to see the leaves change and went to Sleepy Hollow after for a day of fun fall activities. It isn’t necessarily defining, but it was a day where literally nothing bad happened. Everything felt right :)

What are you most proud of yourself for: I moved from a small suburb in Florida to New York (and later to Brooklyn) by myself right after high school, and I work and support myself in order to do so.

Dream Vacation spot: Amsterdam is my dream European vacation spot, but Hawaii is my dream beach vacation destination!

Favorite Adelphi spot: The Nexus building at sunset. It doesn’t get much more beautiful than that.

Interesting fact/Adelphi story: When I was a freshman, I used to read cool books in public spots on campus in the hope that someone would see what I was reading and want to be my friend. I managed to get lots of wonderful, lifelong friends at Adelphi, but none of them came from the books.

I am currently studying at Adelphi University. I am an International Studies major and a senior. My passions are traveling, languages, reading and wine, so drink up while you're reading my articles (21 and over of course).