This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Yes, I’m a sorority girl.  No, I’m not an anti-feminist.  I don’t exactly understand why there’s a stereotype against sororities and that they’re against feminism.  In case you forgot, it’s an organization for women.  We actually aren’t against feminism.  Shocker, right?

There is endless support

There is a stereotype that sororities are full of drama because all girls do is cause drama.  As much as the media likes to put this stereotype into play, it is actually false.  One of the best things about being in a sorority is the support your sisters give you.  You can be having the worst day and your sisters will find any way to cheer you up.  Are you having the best day of your life? We’ll celebrate with you! We’re all about boosting each other up!

Education comes first

Another stereotype that comes with sorority life is that we don’t care about our grades and all we do is party.  I can honestly falsify this one.  I enjoy staying in and I actually do care about my education like all of my other sisters.  One thing that we say a lot is that education comes first.  The only reason we can be in a sorority is because we are in college working on a degree.  Also, sisters who get above a certain GPA get recognized for their hard work!

Leadership opportunities

Joining a sorority, or greek life in general, opens the door to many leadership opportunities.  Last time I checked this is a big deal for feminists.  We want to see women and sisters succeed.  These leadership positions will help any woman gain experience for their future and strengthen them!

Networking

Gone are the days when women are forced to be house wives.  If that’s your goal for the future, sisters will support that.  If you want to become a huge CEO, sisters will support that too.  You meet so many people when joining a sorority.  You’re instantly bonded with people who you don’t even know and although it sounds a little scary, it’s great! If someone ever knows of a job opening or if you need someone’s help with a career, we’ll always be there to help! Sororities offer many resources because we believe that women should get the opportunity to get any job they want.

Girls just wanna have fun

Sexism is a huge deal in this society.  If a guy is spotted naked he’s gorgeous, but if a woman even thinks of posting a picture showing a little cleavage, she’s a slut.  In sororities, we’re all girls who face the same societal expectations.  We understand something that society doesn’t.  Having fun and showing a little skin doesn’t make you a whore.  If you feel confident then do you! Girls in sororities know how to keep it classy when we’re taking over the world, but we also know how to have fun after a long day.

Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.  One thing I ask of you is to not base your beliefs on stereotypes you’ve heard.  Sororities are a big target for stereotypes, and it’s frustrating when people degrade these wonderful organizations because of something they saw on a TV show.  We stand for feminism as much as that girl who isn’t affiliated with any organization.  

Yes, I’m a sorority girl.  No, I’m not an anti-feminist.