This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

So I came off my medication and let me tell you, it sucks. Balancing a depression relapse and the start of the semester is not fun. Something good did come of it though. I came up with an idea.

I started an everyday self-care challenge on Instagram. Every day I make a post about something I did to take care of myself, or something that made me happy, that day. I encourage all my followers to do it with me, and at the end of each post, I ask the questions: What did you do for self-care today? What made you happy today?

I think this challenge is a good reminder for everyone to make sure they’re inserting some sort of self-care into their days, mental health issues or not.

If you are reading this, I encourage you to join me in my self-care challenge. Take a walk, read a book, take a shower. Just do something.

It’s important to remember that self-care isn’t always glamorous, like facials and pretty bubble baths. My first post was about how I turned a light on and showered. It’s okay if the little things are hard for you. Those little things are self-care too.

If you’re struggling to balance your mental health and the school semester, I understand. Do your best. My tips?

Don’t procrastinate your work. Trust me, I know you don’t want to do it, but it will make you feel much worse if it all piles up. Sitting up at 12 am writing an essay that’s due at 9 am didn’t do anything for me, except put me on the verge of the panic attack.

Go to your classes. I am no stranger to the feeling of wanting to stay in your bed all day and avoid all socialization. Please go. That productivity will make you feel a little bit better, I swear.

See some friends. Open up to people. I went to a Galentine’s Day event on my campus and let me tell you, I laughed. A lot. Go make plans with friends. Even if it’s just watching a movie in your dorm, it will help not to be alone.

So, join me in #FeelBetterFebruary. Come find me on Instagram @coleysirabella and let’s take care of ourselves together!

I am a current freshman interdisciplinary major at Adelphi University. I am taking courses in psychology, communications, English, and even a few in anthropology! I have a passion for writing, reading, and the mental health and lgbtq+ communities. My goal for my writing to help at least at least one person feel better, so I hope that person is you!