Fashion Choices: Interview vs. Day At Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Landing that perfect job can be determined by what you wear during your interview. As silly as that may sound, looking professional is one of the first qualities many employers look for. Maintaining this professional image can be also applied even after you land the job.

Depending on your career, most employers may want their employees to dress anywhere from suits to business casual attire. According to an article in Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2013/06/20/how-to-dress-for-y…), Brenda Ferguson Hodges, a California-based image consultant and career coach states “Appearance affects hiring decisions and plays a major role. Hiring managers need to be able to visualize you in that position they are trying to fill.” This basically is stating that what you wear to the interview will reflect the job title you are seeking.

If you’re feeling nervous about what to wear, here are a few examples of what to wear in an interview and what’s appropriate for a work place:

When going in for an interview it would be more appropriate to dress in business attire. It shows that you’re professional and that you’re serious about the job.

Depending on your work environment, many jobs can require to dress business casual. Business casual can be more comfortable and stylish. Here are a few examples of business casual.

Whether you want to look like Blair Waldrof or Kate Middleton, dressing like these two ladies would be great for a business casual work environment. The important thing to remember is to accessorize well and show off your personal style while looking professional. 

I am currently working for Chernoff Diamond, a financial consulting firm. I have a passion for writing and going to the gym. My main mission is to utilize my writing and journalism skills to help advocate for the underprivileged. With determination and hard work, I am motivated to travel around the world and learn about people's stories in hope to become more knowledgeable about the world.
Hi HC readers! I am a senior at Adelphi University studying Communications with a concentration in Journalism. I am also a Marketing minor and am a member of various campus organizations. I will be serving as the HC Adelphi Campus Correspondent. Our chapter will keep you in the loop of all the Adelphi happenings along with college life articles written by the students for the students!   Check out our website to learn more about us and how you can become apart of the HC team at AU! Also, dont forget to check out our social media pages, also listed on the website. http://hercampusadelphi.weebly.com/