Is a Communications Major Right For You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Many factors go into choosing a major, and you’re creative, driven, love reading and writing, and are interested in getting out there and having a voice, this could be the major for you. If you feel that you relate to all five of these points, you could very well flourish as a communications major, whether it’s in film, public relations, or journalism!

1.      Have Writing Skills

With any subject or possible future job, adequate writing skills are an essential part of your resume. Also, no matter what concentration you focus on in communications, you will need to know how to write, and write well.

2.      Be Creative

Being creative is an essential part of being a communications major because it’s such a broad and creative field! 

3.      Be Receptive

It’s always important to be open, but especially in this field. The media is all about current events, so it’s always important to keep your eyes and ears (and mind!) open.

4.      Have a Love For the Media

Communications has a lot to do with the media and putting content out there. This major isn’t for someone who doesn’t enjoy all media related platforms, and keeping up with current events. 

5.      Enjoy It

If you’re not enjoying what you do, there is no point in doing it. Work in communications can be very challenging at times, but if it’s your passion and you enjoy it, you’ll never have to “work” a day in your life.

Check out your school’s communications department and see what they require and what really goes into it, because you never know where that path could take you. 

Melissa is a journalism student at Adelphi University, and hopes to one day write for magazines and/various media types.
Hi HC readers! I am a senior at Adelphi University studying Communications with a concentration in Journalism. I am also a Marketing minor and am a member of various campus organizations. I will be serving as the HC Adelphi Campus Correspondent. Our chapter will keep you in the loop of all the Adelphi happenings along with college life articles written by the students for the students!   Check out our website to learn more about us and how you can become apart of the HC team at AU! Also, dont forget to check out our social media pages, also listed on the website. http://hercampusadelphi.weebly.com/