This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Our very own Her Campus Publicity Coordinator, Carolyn Garcia, is a junior communications major with a concentration in media studies and psychology minor here at Adelphi. Despite only being twenty-years-old, Garcia has already established herself in the professional world through her work with Her Campus and Cambio, another college based publication for young women. Aside from her experience in the media field, Garcia is also dedicated to charity work and pursuing her own goals, and that makes her a fearless individual that deserves the title of Adelphi’s next Campus Celebrity!

Q: How are you involved on campus?

A: I’ve been part of Her Campus Adelphi since my freshman year and I am the Publicity Coordinator for our team. I’m also a student worker in the Ruth S. Ammon School of Education and I work under the amazing Dr. Anne Mungai. When I’m not in the office assisting her with research, I help plan fundraisers on campus for her orphanage in Kenya (CWMF). Because I’m so passionate about so many causes, I really enjoy volunteering with CSI whenever they have any service opportunities.

Q: What are your aspirations for your future?

A: Ahh! I have way too many. It’s scary! I really want to do it all in the future and I think that it can be possible as long as I set my mind to it. I would love to work as a lifestyle editor for one of my favorite magazines or as a casting director for a television show while serving on a nonprofit’s communications board and counseling children on the side. I would also love to go back to school to receive my master’s in nutrition and become a registered dietician. I dream of starting my own organization someday for children who are overweight and in need of mentors to help them overcome their struggles, whether it’s being teased or not knowing about the right foods to eat. Can I squeeze in being an author too? I told you it was scary!

Q: Explain your work with Cambio.

A: I’m currently a Campus Ambassador for Cambio, which is a site for girls–built by girls. It’s basically your daily source for everything from finding out who’s the newest member in Taylor Swift’s squad, to how to create your own app. It’s honestly such a fun website and it was actually coded by girls from the organization, Girls Who Code. Cambio’s message is that as girls we are capable of being creators and builders, and I think that we need inspirational messages like this more than ever. As a Campus Ambassador, I write articles for the contributor network, the Col[lab], which is open to all girls who enjoy expressing their creativity through writing. You can literally write about anything and everything! My articles range from “The Feels You Go Through at a Taylor Swift Concert” to “The Struggles of being a 20-Year-Old.” I also get to be part of pretty cool seminars/workshops, attend amazing events, and interview celebrities. Cambio is just awesome.

Q: Where do you see yourself, ideally, in 10 years?

A: In 10 years I’ll be 30, which is insane! I don’t know where exactly I see myself since I want to go after as many opportunities as possible, but I’m hoping that I’ll have a career that will allow me to combine all of my passions into one. I’m a big people person and I think that as long as I’m surrounded by my amazing family/friends and I get to help others, I’ll be set!

Q: If you were to go down a different career path in your life, what would it be and why?

A: I used to constantly worry if I chose the right major or if what I wanted to do was just a phase, but one day I decided to erase all those lingering worries and put all the careers I’ve ever thought about going after in one list. I thought to myself, “I’ll just be everything I’ve always wanted to be.” Nutrition was always in the back of my mind as another career option because growing up I struggled with being overweight, and it was through my mom’s help and her nutrition reads that I was able to overcome that. Instead of pushing nutrition to the side, I plan on pursuing it as a career someday. To reiterate, as long as you put your mind/body/soul into going after the things you’re passionate about, there’s really nothing stopping you from doing it all.

Q: What are you most proud of?

A: Growing up, like most young girls, I was (and still am) obsessed with Seventeen Magazine. I remember telling myself that one day my name was going to appear in one of the pages of the magazine. I wasn’t exactly sure how I was going to make that happen, but I just knew I was. Flash forward to today, I’ve been part of Seventeen’s social media club for three years and I’ve had my name appear next to my quotes/reviews in their issues. It’s crazy to think that this was a goal of mine for so many years and I told myself I’d make it happen and I actually did.

Q: Who/what inspires you?

A: There are so many people who inspire me in so many different ways. When it comes to seeking inspiration to persevere struggles and not letting anything get in the way of my dreams, it’s definitely my mother. She’s worked so hard and is honestly such a great person with the most loving heart. She’s constantly doing more for others than for herself, and her selflessness is what inspires me everyday. She’s my number one supporter and constantly encourages me to go after everything I want. My dad and my grandfather are just as inspiring as well, and have always taught me that there are never any limits to what you want to do in life. #lovethem

Hi, I'm Alexis! I'm a senior Communications major with a journalism concentration, and I'm an editor and campus co-coordinator for our Adelphi chapter of Her Campus! After graduating, I hope to write for news organizations that cover important social and humanitarian issues in our political sphere and in the global community. Other than writing, I enjoy reading, napping, and sightseeing. One fun fact about me is that I'm left-handed, which means I'm more likely to become President! I mainly write political content relating to the most current issues facing our country and the world.
Hi HC readers! I am a senior at Adelphi University studying Communications with a concentration in Journalism. I am also a Marketing minor and am a member of various campus organizations. I will be serving as the HC Adelphi Campus Correspondent. Our chapter will keep you in the loop of all the Adelphi happenings along with college life articles written by the students for the students!   Check out our website to learn more about us and how you can become apart of the HC team at AU! Also, dont forget to check out our social media pages, also listed on the website. http://hercampusadelphi.weebly.com/