Campus Celebrity: Brogen Olsen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.
Year: Junior

Major: Psychology major and Children and Family Studies minor

Hometown: Old Saybrook, CT (small coastal town with 2 lighthouses!)

Nationality: I’m a mix! German, Swedish, Irish, French-Canadian to name a few.

Her Campus Adelphi: What’s your favorite part about attending Adelphi?
Brogen Olsen: My favorite part about attending Adelphi is the small campus. I love how everywhere I go I see a familiar face. I also love how close it is to the city! That is the main reason why I chose to go here.

HC AU: What are you involved in on campus?
Brogen: I am currently the secretary of the Student Activities Board (and president elect!), a member of CALIBER, Chapter Leader of I Am That Girl: Nassau County, and a newly inducted member of Psi Chi International Psychology Honor Society. In the past, I have been a member of Waldo Hall Council and a member of SWAG.

HC AU: Congratulations on being elected as president for SAB next year! What are you looking forward to the most serving as president?
Brogen: Thank you! I am very excited to serve as president for one of the largest clubs on campus! I am excited to get to know everyone in the organization and bring events to campus that everyone will enjoy. I also plan to bring back the Fall Comedy Show.

HC AU: Who’s been an inspiration for you on campus?
Brogen: One person that has stood out to me is Julianna Claase. I really admire how well she balances all of her various positions on and off campus and still maintains to be so down to earth. She has been my role model ever since I met her freshman year and I am so happy to call her a friend. I’m gonna miss seeing her around next year!

HC AU: Who’s one of your inspirations at home?
Brogen: At home, I really admire my old band director. He is someone that I can talk to about anything. I always loved hearing his inspiring and comedic stories during band rehearsals.

HC AU: How do you manage to balance being so involved, your school work, and your social life?
Brogen: I am very schedule oriented, so making a schedule and taking things step by step has definitely helped me balance everything that I am involved in.

HC AU: What advice do you have for incoming freshmen?
Brogen: My advice for incoming freshmen is to get involved! I have created so many friendships on campus by joining clubs. Also, take advantage of what is offered here on campus, especially the trips. I went on the Alternative Winter Break to South Florida in January and it was one of the most amazing trips that I have ever been on.

HC AU: If you could have dinner with anyone living or passed, who would it be?
Brogen: I would love to have dinner with Marilyn Monroe because my wall is covered with her quotes!

HC AU: What’s your favorite food?
Brogen: My favorite food is steak. 

HC AU: What’s your favorite song?
Brogen: I hate this question because there are so many good ones! My favorite song of the past is Let It Be by The Beatles and my favorite song of now is Shake It Off by Taylor Swift.

HC AU: What’s your favorite movie?
Brogen: My favorite movie is Across the Universe or Aladdin.

HC AU: How would your friends describe you?
Brogen: My friends would describe me as caring and trustworthy. Although I may be a bit shy, once you get to know me I break out of my shell.

HC AU: What’s one thing you can’t live without?
Brogen: One thing I can’t live without is my phone. I know it’s cliche but nowadays you can do anything and everything on your smart phone so I would be lost without it.

HC AU: Where do you see yourself in five years?
Brogen: In five years I see myself as a recent grad school graduate working in an elementary school as a school psychologist in some TBD city.

HC AU: Let’s hear a random fact!
Brogen: I’m related to Mary-Kate and Ashley!! Just kidding!! When I was younger, I thought they were my cousins! In real life, I have lived in 6 different states; Florida, South Carolina, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Connecticut and now, New York!
Carolyn Garcia is a Junior at Adelphi University. She was part of the Her Campus High School Journalism and Publicity Ambassador program during her junior year of high school and that opportunity was what allowed her to discover her passion of writing for media. Since then, she's become a Social Media rep for Seventeen, a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com, a Campus rep for Rent the Runway, a contributor for TheDaily411.com, and a Campus Ambassador for CAMBIO #BUILTBYGIRLS She's now the publicity/social media coordinator for Her Campus Adelphi, which she couldn't be more excited about. If you're interested in becoming best friends with her, you should tell her you love Taylor Swift and Chocolate Mint Tea.