Breanne Lapinski ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

This week’s campus cutie is Breanne Lapinski! Breanne is a very active student at Adelphi. It was a pleasure to interview her and find out a little something about her life, the interview is found below.

Q: What is your year and major?

A: Junior Speech Language Pathology major

Q: You are a member of Caliber, could you please tell us a little about that club?

A: Sure! CALIBER is a community service club on campus and stands for Cause to Achieve Leadership Intelligence, Brotherhood, Excellence and Respect. I am the Director of Public Relations so I take care of all advertising on Facebook, Instagram, Adelphi Ecampus, and My AU life. Almost every week of the semester, we have at least one community service event. Some weekends, we even have three events! We have done almost every community service event you can think of such as helping out at nursing homes, homeless shelters, animal shelters, as well as cleaning up public beaches, and so much more! I absolutely love this club, I have met so many amazing people through it and it is such a great feeling to know that you are giving back while having fun and bonding with other members of the club!  

Q: What community service have you done that made you rewarded or really touched you in some way?

A: Probably my favorite community service event is the overnight Youth Student Opportunities Project (YSOP) trip. It is definitely the most popular CALIBER event of the year, and it is always a lot of fun. Each year we participate in this overnight trip where we take a bus into the city, cook meals for individuals who may not have the resources to make themselves food, and bond with them. It was so amazing to hear all of their stories, and it is definitely really eye-opening to all of the members. Also during the trip, we break into smaller groups and go to different sites throughout the five boroughs. One year I got stationed at a food pantry and stood outside for 4 hours handing out food to lines of people that wrapped around the block. That was extremely touching for me to visualize just how many people were in need, and it was amazing how kind and grateful everyone was; it made me realize how truly fortunate I was.

Q: Since you commute do you have any advice for other commuter students who are new to adelphi?

A: Get involved! To be honest, I was super nervous about commuting because all of my friends were going away and I was afraid I wasn’t going to make new friends bc I wasn’t dorming. I quickly realized however that it was not true; I stayed on campus a lot freshman year and got to really get to know people who are still are some of my closest friends! Joining CALIBER was awesome for me also because I was able to meet people who love volunteering, like myself. So I definitely recommend getting involved with something you are interested in, whether that be Greek life, or other clubs on campus!

Q: What are your long term career goals one you leave adelphi?

A: Well first, I want to attend grad school for Speech Language Pathology. I love my major, and I can’t wait to get my masters. But after grad school, I’d love to either work with children as a Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP), or with individuals with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities as an SLP.

Q: How are you liking your college experience so far?

A:I love Adelphi. Coming here was one of the best decisions I have ever made! I made some amazing friends and I would not have changed it for the world.

Q: Is there anything about adelphi that you really love or stands out to you?

A: One thing I definitely admire about Adelphi is the beauty of the campus. Chances are if you’re walking with me on campus, I’ll point out something about the trees, the sunset over the baseball field or the cute bunnies that seem to pop up everywhere. I just love nature and Adelphi does an amazing job showcasing it.

I am a student at Adelphi University pursing a degree in communications. I love all things beauty and lifestyle related! I have danced and acted my entire life and have a passion for stage and film.