Back to School Hacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Welcome back collegiettes! 

I hope that your summer was great and you’re ready to get back into the swing of school.  Let’s be serious, we probably aren’t ready for summer to end so I’ve compiled some back to school hacks to make getting back on track a little easier!

1. Lay your outfit out the night before

We all know that we try to get as much sleep in before we have to get out of bed.  Sometimes we stay in bed too long so we quickly throw on a sweatshirt and leggings.  I’m very guilty of doing this constantly, but if you lay out a cute outfit the night before, then you don’t waste 5 precious minutes standing in front of your closet saying, “I have nothing to wear.” I’m all for leggings everyday, but we should all try at least once a week right?

2. Keep a mini emergency kit at all times

You never know when you’re going to need a hair tie or even a tampon.  If not you then maybe your friends! Some things I suggest keeping at all times: bandaids, lip balm, mints/gum, hair ties, tissues, and tampons/pads. Modify your emergency kit as you wish.  It’s better being safe than sorry!

3. Use the word “impact”

This next hack is one that my friend told me in high school. When you don’t know whether to use “affect” or “effect” just use the word “impact.” I’ve used this hack multiple times and it’s definitely saved me.  I know it seems kinda lame, but I figured I would include it just in case.  Trust me, you’ll thank me later!

4. Use Slugbooks.com

It amazes me how many people actually buy their textbooks from the school bookstore.  I’m sorry @ school but I don’t have $500 for a textbook I may or may not use.  I found this website prior to starting college and it has defintiely saved me hundreds.  I’ve gotten $200 books for $20.  All you have to do is type in the ISBN and then the results will show you where you can buy or rent the book and the prices.  I use it every semester!

5. Listen to classical music when studying

I know I’m not the only person who loves listening to music while studying or doing homework.  The problem is I can’t listen to my faves One Direction because I’ll spend 90% of the time singing along.  The solution is classical music.  This way you have background music so you’re not just sitting there in silence, and you’re not singing along.  Classical music can also help improve your focus! 

6. Teach yourself

You are more likely to remember something if you are able to teach it.  After studying a specific topic, teach it to a friend or roommate.  If the topic isn’t super interesting, sit in front of a mirror and teach yourself.  I always talk to myself in the mirror when I’m practicing a presentation, so it’s basically the same thing.  Don’t worry about looking weird, you’re gonna be acing the tests!

7. Relax

My last hack is to relax and take some time off.  Schedule in free time if you have to.  I know what it’s like to be super busy and barely having time to breathe.  It’s OK to push one thing to the next day so you can have time to yourself. Read a book, catch up on a show, or hang out with friends. If you don’t have free time then you’ll have a mental breakdown from being overwhelmed.  You’re doing yourself a favor so relax!

There you have it collegiettes! Good luck this semester, let’s make it a great one!!