This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

As we say goodbye to Pisces, we now start from the very first zodiac on the top of the list: Aries. Aries, is the first zodiac sign corresponding to the time period from March 21st to April 19th. As a fire sign, Aries can tend to be bold and ambitious, diving head first into everything they do, including the most challenging situations. They are also passionate, motivated, and confident leaders who build community with their cheerful disposition and relentless determination. Aries are the leaders of the pack, first in line to get things going. Whether or not everything gets done is another question altogether, for an Aries prefers to initiate rather than to complete. An Aries won’t shy away from new ground, either. Those born under this zodiac sign are often called the pioneers of the zodiac, and it’s their fearless trek into the unknown that often wins the day.

The symbol for Aries is the Ram, named for the stellar constellation assigned to it by the astrologers of the old world. The astrological symbol of the Ram goes back to Babylonian times when it was associated with agriculture and the god of shepherds. In Egyptian astronomy, the Ram’s association continued through the sun god Amon-Ra, who had a human form and a ram’s head. Amon-Ra ruled over fertility and creativity, vital forces that set Spring and regeneration in motion.

Zodiac signs on building
Photo by Josh Rangel on Unsplash

In Greek mythology, the Ram saved Phrixus and Helle, whose golden fleece became the prize in the story of Jason and the Argonauts. Phrixus and Helle were about to die when a winged ram with golden wool came to their rescue. The ram was sent by their real mother, the cloud nymph Nephele. It took both children and flew east to Colchis, but only Phrixus survived the journey. Helle fell off the ram and drowned in the Dardanelles. The strait was later renamed to Hellespont, or sea of Helle, in her memory. The name Aries is derived from “Ares”, the Greek god of war. 

From doing some research, I found out that the character traits of an Aries depend on the month you were born in. If you are a March Aries, then you tend to be more impulsive, you think with your heart, are actually very emotional, and you are more intuitive and have chaotic energy. If you are an April Aries then you tend to be more stubborn, you think with your head, you are also very polite, and a lot more feisty with a carefree spirit. 

If your Moon is in Aries, then you are likely to have a pronounced need for independence, as well as an assertive streak. You are likely to feel at your best when you are involved with exciting, challenging or new experiences, anything that allows you to express your pioneering side. You may find that you are a dynamic, pioneering individual, and enjoy getting things started and lifting them off the ground. Your need for independence suggests you may be happiest when left to do your own thing, and will protest being told what to do; this is a sign of emotional independence. You are likely to give, and expect, much stimulation, vibrancy and freedom from the people in your life. You may be quick to react, ready to forgive, but also easily hurt. You are likely to enjoy having space to be your own person, and will feel trapped if others try to limit you.

If your Rising is in Aries, then you are likely to approach life in a straightforward and direct manner. This means you are likely to love a challenge, enjoy being busy and will generally move toward your goals without delay. Your gift is the ability to initiate, take charge, and pioneer. Independent by nature, and self-reliant in many ways, your challenge is to maintain patience and – when necessary – find ways to collaborate with others. Aries rising implies you will bring an enthusiastic, dynamic and fun-loving approach to most new things. You are likely to be capable and energetic, prefer a high degree of autonomy, and need to feel as if you are in charge of your own affairs. You have strong mental energies and may love to debate, argue or “butt heads”; pushing the envelope is fun for you. You may need to learn not to take on challenges purely for their own sake. Eventually, you will discover how to incorporate qualities such as diplomacy and tact into your life as you realize your ambitions.

Some celebrities that are Aries are Emma Watson, Lady Gaga, Lil Nas X, Robert Downey Jr., Brendon Urie, and Mariah Carey (any possible birthday twins? ?). 

If you’re an Aries, you don’t have to take what anyone thinks of you into consideration. Don’t listen to anyone’s negativity babe, you have your own determination to make your own happiness. You can also do life by yourself. In fact, you would almost rather go solo than follow a large crowd. It isn’t that you don’t like people, but there is always solace in having some time alone. You need space from time to time to even function at your full capability. You most definitely know what you want in life – this makes you a hard worker who would do anything to achieve your goals. So Aries, take some time for yourselves – and don’t forget to be fierce!

Hey girl hey! My name is Nicoletta and I am currently a junior majoring in Environmental Science to become an earth science teacher at Adelphi. I absolutely love watching movies and tv shows so if you ever need a recommendation... I'm your girl. I have always loved creative writing and writing in general so I cannot wait for this to be my outlet :)