This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

These are my top 10 books that I’ve read, and I want to share them as we continue our quarantine; there are a bunch of different genres for you to check out among them. I recommend picking up a book if you find some spare time! 

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Nathan Safran Foer

This book was so emotionally impactful and I binge-read it in one day because I was so invested. The movie for this book did not do it justice at all – the biggest travesty for any book lover. I totally recommend it if you want a good book to cry over.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

I read this book in my high school English class, but I was not expecting to get so invested in the characters’ lives. This is another book that played with my emotions and had me angry tweeting the whole time. This book will make you cry, but is so worth reading.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

This book is so unique and it only took me a few hours to read. It’s such a beautifully written journey and love story that will keep you wanting more. It’s articulated in such an amazing way, and I totally recommend it if you want a quick but interesting read!

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

The movie does not do this book justice at all. The depth of this book is so incredible and it was one of the first books I ever cried over. It’s a bit lengthy but really worth the read, and it makes you rethink a lot about your life, so be prepared. 

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Another high school English assignment, but it is literally one of my favorite books. I’ll admit that the beginning does start off a bit slow, but by the middle of the book, you’re hooked. If you’re into period pieces, then I am sure that this book is perfect for you. 

Life of the Party by Olivia Gatwood

This book is by my favorite spoken word poet, and she is so incredibly talented. Her poems focus around true crime and how it affects her life as a woman. Even if you’re not interested in reading, you can find her poems on YouTube!

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doer

This is literally a brilliant novel. The way this is written only adds to the intricate plot, except it does get tricky when the perspectives and times change in the novel. It’s another tearjerker, so get emotionally prepared if you’re going to pick up this book. 

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil De Grasse Tyson

I am such a physics nerd, so I absolutely loved this book! It’s written in such an easy way to help anyone understand really complicated topics. As it suggests in the title, it’s a smaller book, so it doesn’t take too long to finish and gives a lot of interesting insights into the universe.

Los Versos del Capitan by Pablo Neruda

This book is a collection of love poems by hispanic writer Pablo Neruda. His poems are as beautiful in English as they are in Spanish, and I loved this book because it included both languages! I totally recommend this because even if you’re not a Spanish speaker, the words are so powerful. 

The Martian by Andy Weir

This is my most recent read, but it was such an awesome book. This is perfect if you don’t want a serious read, but need something intellectually stimulating. It was hilarious, but seriously well- researched and interesting – another great book if you love science!

Remember not to overwhelm yourself with work and try to take time for yourself to relax. Picking up my favorite book always calms me, even if it’s only for a short amount of time each day. I hope you find a read that you come to love!

Victoria Alonso is a Senior at Adelphi University, majoring in Psychology. She is currently the president of Adelphi's Her Campus chapter and loves creating a welcoming space for all students. She is also passionate about exploring herself through the arts and learning and more about the world through experience and travel.