This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Have you ever associated numbers with colors, music or songs with specific events or times in your life? Have you ever thought about what music genres the majors at Adelphi would be?  Well, I took some of the most popular majors at Adelphi, thought about it, and here’s what I think:

Art: Any Genre

All music is art and a form of expression therefore it all deserves to be treated that way. No matter what a person’s taste of music is, everyone’s artistic in their own ways.

Biology and Chemistry: 80’s Pop

80’s pop music, to me, has always had a scientific undertone because of the techno feel to it. Music in this genre is always fun and interesting, and there is so much of it to discover. Come on, the 80’s has “She Blinded Me With Science” by Thomas Dolby. What could be more appropriate?

Communications: Indie Rock / Coffeehouse Music

For communications, I think of writing of all kinds, and creativity. Indie rock is different and relatively new, which is what communications focuses on a majority of the time: new and upcoming media. Coffeehouse Music consists of easy listening songs, maybe acoustic, that are calming and help the creativity flow.

Computer Science: EDM

Listening to EDM has always reminded me of computers and technology because of the advanced use of them in the songs and how modern it sounds. Computer science is all about learning the most advanced and modern technologies in the age we live in. How do you think EDM songs are produced? Computers and other technologies!

Nursing: Country Music

Nursing is such a noble major to be in, you save lives and put others before yourself with a nursing job. A lot of the time, country music has nice messages and has always brought me up when I was feeling down.  All music has the power to do this, but there is something about country music that adds a little upbeat and positive attitude to any day. Helping and healing, just like nurses do.

Theater: Show Tunes / Any Genre

When you think of theater, you think of Broadway and beyond. When you think of Broadway you think of shows and show tunes. But, in addition to show tunes, I believe that any genre of music can go with theatre because here are so many different types of performance that theatre majors study: TV, Movies, Stage, etc. Just like music, theatre is an art form, and art shouldn’t be restricted to any specific category. 

Melissa is a journalism student at Adelphi University, and hopes to one day write for magazines and/various media types.
Adelphi Campus Correspondent. Natalie is a sophomore at Adelphi University where she studies Acting and English passionately. In between her studies, she enjoys jam-packing her schedule through writing for contentBase.co, holding a chair position on the Student Activities Board and shining on the stage in school productions. She loves cats, coffee, fashion and music almost as much as she does writing. Her goal as a journalist is to inspire as many ambitious, young people, like herself, to make the most of their lives as possible.