7 Conversation Hearts Decoded

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

It’s the second week of February and we all know what that means – Valentine’s day is just around the corner. One ionic symbol of Valentine’s Day is the oh-so colorful and adorable conversation hearts that we’ve been eating and exchanging since we were in elementary school. Now that we’re older and Valentine’s Day may have a little more meaning, it’s possible to look into the deeper message behind these pastel-shaded candies. Keep reading to decode the conversation hearts that you may be receiving this Valentine’s Day.

1. Hug me

Hug me conversation hearts are reserved for friends. Chances are, if you receive this phrase via a conversation heart, the meaning behind the message is as innocent as it is. One word: friend-zoned.

2. Let’s kiss

A “let’s kiss” conversation heart is playful. It shows a guy (or girl) is interested in you, but beware of players and their overcharismatic ways.

3. Only you

The complete opposite of the previous, more flirtatious message, an “only you” heart is just what it sounds like. It shows that your significant other is content and dedicated to you and your relationship. You’re the apple of their eye.

4. It’s love

“It’s love” symbolizes a new relationship or a relationship that is just beginning to get serious. This conversation heart symbolizes a transitional phase between you and your significant other.

5. Wink Wink

Giving this extremely enticing message is clearly a flirtatious move. A “wink wink” on your conversation heart means that the person who gave it to you thinks you’re attractive and is clearly interested.

6. Text me

Well what are you waiting for?! Text the sender of your conversation heart! They are clearly interested in you and would like to be texting buddies. Go for it; texting is an easy way to get to know someone without the awkwardness and nerves of a face-to-face conversation.

7. I love you

The ultimate Valentine’s Day message: does this one even need an explanation?

Hopefully this article helped you make some sense of any cute conversation heart messages that you may receive this Valentine’s Day. Whether you’re single, in a relationship, married, or in a complicated situation, may your Valentine’s Day be filled with lots of love and happiness!

Hey everyone! I'm Juls (yes, short for Julie), and I'm a junior biology major with a double minor in chemistry and mathematics at Adelphi University. I'm also a writer and the head of the editorial team for Her Campus Adelphi. I've been running for 6 years and am a (beginner) Bikram yoga junkie, so I guess you can say I'm also a fitness enthusiast. If I'm not out for a run or in the yoga studio, you can catch me volunteering at my local hospital, laughing with my friends while out for coffee, or tuning in for the latest episode of Dancing With the Stars. Feel free to say hi if you see me around; I'm most likely that girl with a pair of sunglasses on top of her head even if it's cloudy outside.