6 Smart Ways to Save Money in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

We all know how hard it is to save money in college. You’re away from your family and finally in control of your own budget. However, when it comes to buying books, hanging out with friends, and just buying food, your pockets can be drained awfully quick. 

1. Don’t keep it all in your wallet

Of course don’t hide all of your money from yourself. But, if you plan on going to the mall to hang out, or you don’t want to spend too much only bring as much as you need. Leave the rest in your room so you’re not tempted to buy things once you get there!

2. Dollar menus

When going to eat, it can be easy to be tempted to splurge on any food that isn’t Lackmann. However, most fast food places have dollar menus that are perfect portion sizes. Many diners and other restaurants have good sized appetizers that can be very filling and sizable.

3. Split things

Of course you and your friends want to get pizza together and go out and do fun things! But sometimes it isn’t feasible for everyone. So if the group wants to do something fun, try to find something you guys can split multiple ways instead of all paying a lot. Instead, you could all chip in to do something fun together or buy a game together.

4. Plan ahead

Try to make sure you know what the plans are for the next few weeks so you can ration out your money. If you’re going into the city next weekend maybe don’t go out for ice cream this weekend.

5. Use the C-store

It can be tempting to go out on shopping sprees any chance you get to leave campus but remember, you’ve already paid for your panther dollars and meal swipes. Most things you can find in the C-store and you can get Starbucks in the Underground instead of paying for it out of pocket. 

6. Find a ride

If you can, get a friend to drive you somewhere and offer to pay gas money instead of paying ridiculous taxi prices. Also don’t forget about the Adelphi shuttle bus hours if you have to go shopping!

College life can be expensive, but there are plenty of ways you and your friends can have fun on a student budget!

Freshman acting major at Adelphi University :)