Wellness

5 Ways to Stay Productive While Being Sick in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Five Ways to Stay Productive While being Sick in College

The infamous college cold outbreak is among us, and everyone is freaking out. We all follow the main guidelines for staying healthy: Purell is your best friend, don’t touch your face, always wash your hands, and all the other “ stay germ-free” rules given to us (*eye roll*). Well here’s the tea sis, nobody is safe out here on campus. Germs are rampant and just because you keep clean, that doesn’t mean everyone else is playing their part. Let’s skip to the part when you are minding your business, maybe munching away at a snack, and there IT is out of nowhere- your throat starts to hurt. Indeed this is the point of no return my friends, and you KNOW you are gonna get sick. Well, here’s where I have some sisterly advice for you all. My immune system is absolute garbage (we have a love hate relationship), so I know a thing or two on what it is like to be under the weather. I have made a list of five ways to help you get through your busy work week while being sick with the least amount of added stress as possible.

1. Children’s Over the Counter Medication is Your New Best Friend

Sometimes when you have a busy week ahead of you, it might be impossible to get to the doctor. If you have mild symptoms, like a cold, buy some OTC medication as a temporary solution to your symptoms. Also, I highly recommend purchasing children’s strength. This is because you will be able to take it more frequently because the doses are smaller (always follow the dosing chart and doctor’s guidelines). If you take an adult strength Nyquil, that’s an invitation to oversleep into next week and feel like a sloth when you wake up. Try children strength instead because it’s just enough to take the edge off to sleep, but won’t overdo it.

2. Binge Out on Spicy Foods

Your excuse to eat endless Chipotle is finally here. When you have a stubborn stuffy nose, eating some spicy foods can help tremendously. By eating some spice, this will help clear out your sinuses without adding pressure to your head. I did this while I had the worst sinus headache, and let me tell you… life changing. You can even add a little cayenne pepper to some chicken noodle soup (or vegan soup of choice) to make this hack a little more appealing to your appetite.

3. Try to Go to Class (I know.. But bear with me)

I know it is so hard to stay focused when you don’t feel well. Unfortunately, the main way to stay productive is by not falling behind. If I just have a cold, or stuffy nose I really try to get to class. Even though it’s tempting to stay home, once you fall behind on work you are going to be stressed. Once you are stressed, your body can’t heal. Let your professor know in advance that you are under the weather, but you’ll try to stay for the whole duration of the class. This really shows that you are trying your best, and your professors will appreciate it.

4. Pace Yourself Wisely

Now we all know most college students procrastinate until the very last minute. When you are sick, the last thing you should be worrying about is rushing to complete an assignment. Try to plan your week accordingly, and don’t overdo it. If you can plan your time out, and stick to a schedule, the time you have to rest you can focus on your sleep. This will help alleviate added stress, and you’ll be able to catch those much needed zzz’s.

5. Listen to Your Body

This my friends is the most important step to follow when you’re sick. Yes, most of the time it will be just a cold. Other times though, it’s important to listen to your body and don’t ignore it. Your health comes first and foremost, and nobody will tell you different. Try to see a doctor or visit a walk-in if you can. Maybe it will take some time out of your day, but it will give you the peace of mind that you’ll be ok and bounce back in a couple days. I have linked a walk-in locator to help you find one close to you.

I know how hard it can be to stay healthy when in college, and it is definitely worse if you live on campus. It almost seems like colds and sniffles can spread like wildfire. Simple prevention can go a long way, so do take the easy rules seriously. However, if you are sick please listen to your body. We all run ourselves thin and overdo it at times. When you’re sick, it is your body telling you to slow down. Taking a break from everything is easier said than done, but allowing time to heal will pay off in the long run. Stay healthy out there and Feel Better!

Hello everyone! My name is Megan Rasiak, and I am a senior nursing student at Adelphi University in Garden City, NY. I have been apart of HerCampus since 2018, and I love writing about fun topics, advice sessions, late night thoughts, and feel good articles. I am just your average nursing student who loves vegan food, music, and random adventures. I try to write my articles as if you are coming along with me through my journey of self-discovery, college life, nursing and everything in between.