3 Perfect Halloween looks: The Secret to the Gore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

With Halloween just around the corner the thought going though everyone’s mind is what costume is going to make me stand out this year. Every girl’s goal on Halloween is to have the perfect all eyes on her look, but the question is “how?’ Anyone can grab a cute dress and call their outfit complete, however, the key to standing out is MAKEUP. Not just your typical cat eye but special effects make up. Most girls don’t think about doing any outfit horror or gore related but done correctly you can easily combine cute and scary. Below are some ideas for your perfect stand out Halloween costume:

1. Slit Throat: Scare everyone with this illusion of a severed neck, pair it with a full face of make up and a black dress and your look is complete. This look can be achieved with just three products. Fake blood, scar wax and any safe skin adhesive of your choice. Fake blood can be found at your local party store around this time of year and scar was is a fx product that you can pick up online for about $8.00. Take the scar wax and adhere it to your neck smooth it out and take an old make up brush to create a crack down the middle. Add the fake blood inside the crack and your done!

2. The permanent Smile: Literally have a smile glued to your face all night long. This look can be achieved with fake blood, black string and either liquid latex (found at any party store) or scar wax. If using scar wax apply to your face in the same way as you would on your throat and your done! For latex, apply a few layers in the form of a smile and wait to dry then very carefully tear it in a straight line to give the illusion of missing skin. Add the fake blood then cut up pieces of black string and adhere it to the skin for “stitches.” pair with your favorite outfit and your look is complete. 

3. Zombie victim (Inspired by MadeEyewlook): Jeans and a crop top will work great with this last look. This look takes a bit more work but is just as easy to achieve. Your going to need scar wax and if you have them any type of body paint. An easy alternative to the paints are cream eye shadows. To create the perfect color for bruises/infections you will need: dark purple, dark red and yellow. Take a makeup wedge sponge and tear up the end of it creating little indents through out the sponge. Doing this will create a look of broken capillaries. Dip the sponge into your paints and gently tap around the area you want to work with adding colors where you think necessary. Then apply the scar wax again and using an old make up brush make indents in the wax creating the illusion of a bite mark. After you color the wax with any color of your choice you’re done! 

I am a student at Adelphi University pursing a degree in communications. I love all things beauty and lifestyle related! I have danced and acted my entire life and have a passion for stage and film.
Hi HC readers! I am a senior at Adelphi University studying Communications with a concentration in Journalism. I am also a Marketing minor and am a member of various campus organizations. I will be serving as the HC Adelphi Campus Correspondent. Our chapter will keep you in the loop of all the Adelphi happenings along with college life articles written by the students for the students!   Check out our website to learn more about us and how you can become apart of the HC team at AU! Also, dont forget to check out our social media pages, also listed on the website. http://hercampusadelphi.weebly.com/