Culture > News

The 2020 Guide to Discussing Politics with Your Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Drumroll please…..it’s election year! Along with all the bizarre happenings of this year, 2020 will also certainly be remembered as having one of the most important presidential elections. Everyone always says, “Don’t discuss politics at the dinner table.” We can all envision the family dinner where someone gets Grandpa going on a rant about his Medicare bill, and how everything was better when Reagan was President. The potential for this uncomfortable situation is a huge turnoff when trying to share your political views with your families, but we cannot keep our differing opinions to ourselves. We can’t let this stop us from expressing our views, even if we can’t agree with our loved ones.. Here is my guide to helping you find your voice when politics come up at the dinner table.

Stay Confident 

There is nothing that ruins an argument more than nerves. Whenever you are having a heated debate, especially about politics, obvious nervousness makes it seem as though you don’t know what you are talking about. Stand your ground! You have every right to share your ideas, don’t let anyone’s arrogant demeanor crush your confidence. If all else fails, there is always the “fake it ‘til you make it,” method!

State the Facts

In any debate, especially a political one- you need to start with the facts, since they are hard to dismiss or counter. By stating the data, you show how knowledgeable you are, and it gives your future points more credibility. It is crucial that you make sure your facts are not only helpful to your side of the argument, but enlightening to the discussion overall. It is pointless to list irrelevant polling numbers or to spew untrue facts; you never want to be fact checked. 

Admit to Seeing the Other Side of the Issue

The strongest part of any argument is the rebuttal, or the point where you acknowledge the other side of the debate. It may sound a little counterintuitive, but by addressing the other side, you make it known that you are not oblivious to other views. Rather, you can use the opportunity to explain your own reasons and logic for the beliefs you hold. This can be especially helpful when you are having a conversation with a strong-headed relative who is a diehard fan of their political party. You can let it be known that their views are valid, but explain how the views you support are also valid.

Don’t Change Your True Beliefs

Politics are opinions, if you grow up in a family devoted to one side of the political spectrum, it can be difficult to be taken seriously with such drastically different views. No matter how heated an argument gets, do not lose yourself. Having different opinions is the foundation of the two party system, and is what makes politics such an interesting topic of conversation. At the end of the day, they are still your family and will love you, no matter what political party you identify with. 

It is important to continue to have these political discussions with our families so that we can express ourselves and introduce others to the different voices and opinions out there. I hope these tips will help you for the next time Grandpa gets all riled up. And most importantly, don’t forget to vote!

Amber Wayne

Adelphi '24

Hi my name is Amber and I'm a freshman at Adelphi. I'm so excited to be writing for hercampus!