10 Reasons to Get Excited for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

I love summer as much as the next person, but there comes a time every year when we have to kiss our salty beach waves goodbye and welcome the changing colors of the leaves and the smell of cinnamon in the air. Considering the fact that we’ve been back on campus for several weeks now, it’s time to accept the reality that it’s to pack away those denim cutoffs and crop tops and trade them in for all 942038902 pairs of our faithful black leggings and UGGs (yes I’m an UGG lover, guilty as charged). Before you mope away about missing the warmth and adventure that summer entailed, consider these 10 reasons as to why you should be jumping for joy (into a pile of leaves) for the arrival of fall.

1. Sweater weather

Who doesn’t love a great cable-knit sweater or hoodie over a pair of leggings? As collegiates, it’s basically the #1 trend that hits college campuses as the weather begins to cool down. As much as I adore wearing shorts and sandals, I won’t be upset when I’m sitting in class in a comfy sweatshirt. After all, the best time to wear a (striped) sweater…

2. Halloween

You may think I’m getting a little ahead of myself, but Halloween is only a little over a month away and if you’re planning on sort of elaborate costume, you better start planning now to make sure you’re not scrambling on the night of October 30th trying to put together something that remotely resembles a costume (not that I’m talking from personal experience or anything…). Stores have already begun to stock their shelves for this spooky holiday so stay ahead of the game and be on the lookout for that perfect mask or tutu. Also, keep an eye out for our Halloween-themed articles that will be coming soon!

3. Fall TV shows

With September comes the return of some of our beloved TV shows (Dancing With the Stars! Hello another season of Derek Hough) and the premiere of some brand new shows, such as Blood and Oil (hello Chace Crawford/Nate Archibald!) and Grandfathered (uhm, John Stamos and Josh Peck? Where are my fellow diehard Full House and Drake and Josh fans?!). For a full list of shows to be hyped about this season, check out this article: (insert link to Carolyn’s article this week before publishing).

4. Daring beauty trends

As the days get shorter, the darker, more daring beauty trends come out to play. After all, who doesn’t love a good burgundy lip stain? Whether you’re playing up your lip color or rockin’ a smoky eye, be bold and be you!

5. Beautiful scenary 

Although the beaches of Cancun and DR are gorgeous, those Instagram pictures of clear beaches start to get old after the 91238102th one (… okay maybe not, but we’re focusing on fall here!). As the leaves begin to change and the weather cools down, making it appropriate to wear stylishly layered outfits, bring a friend (or multiple) and have a photoshoot. Feel free to be cliche and photograph yourselves blowing a handful of multicolored leaves into the camera; we’re not judging!

6. College Fashion Week (hosted by Her Campus!)

Speaking of photo opts, October’s coming soon and that also means College Fashion Week hosted by Her Campus! To register for the collegiate fashion event of the year, visit http://collegefashionweek.com and join us for the ultimate girls’ night out in the city and watch your fellow collegiates strut the runway!

7. The season of cuddling

Let’s be honest… cuddling isn’t very much fun when you’re drenched in sweat within the first minute and all you want to do is jump into a cold shower. But with the dropping temperatures, it’s a good excuse to grab the bae (or your puppy… or one of those handy dandy cuddle pillows…) and cu.ddle in your favorite park as you take cute selfies under the brightly-hued trees. It’s the cozier and cuter alternative to Netflix and chill.

8. Football games

What spells fall better than football games, whether it be NCAA or NFL. Nothing gets you pumped up more for fall than attending your school’s homecoming. Hey and if you’re not into sports, always remember: football games come with football players. Excited now? 

9. Reuniting with your friends from school

Sure, the past few months with your hometown friends has been amaze-balls, but there’s just something extra special about arriving to your college campus and seeing your friends from school for the first time since finals week and exchanging that extra-tight squeeze as you all exclaim “I’ve missed you so much!” or “I love your tan!” True friends are the ones who’ve comforted you after that chemistry exam that left you distaught or who’ve brought you food during your long nights of cramming in the library. They’re the ones who hold your hair back when you get a little too drunk-happy on Friday night of syllabus week and who cleared a corner for you in their dorm room, even if you’re a commuter. Let’s face it, these people are the only reason why college is bareable. 

10. Pumpkin Spiced… Everything!

One of the first ways that autumn is here is when you casually stroll into Starbucks for your morning coffee and realize…*gasp* the Pumpkin Spiced Latte is back! You quickly text all your friends the great news that your seasonal favorite is back on the market as you make your way to the register to order a venti. Starbucks started the pumpkin spiced trend and now you can find your beloved flavor in cupcakes, candles, body sprays, granola bars, coffee creamers, etc. You name it and they probably name a pumpkin-spiced variation. Now excuse me as I make my way to Starbucks to get my personal favorite autumn drink, the salted caramel mocha (we’ll agree to disagree).

Therefore, kiss your summer woes away and welcome the perfect temperatures and apple pies that autumn will bring this season. You’ll get just as excited for the season when it’s time to lace up your favorite pair of combat boots and jump into a crispy pile of freshly fallen leaves.

Hey everyone! I'm Juls (yes, short for Julie), and I'm a junior biology major with a double minor in chemistry and mathematics at Adelphi University. I'm also a writer and the head of the editorial team for Her Campus Adelphi. I've been running for 6 years and am a (beginner) Bikram yoga junkie, so I guess you can say I'm also a fitness enthusiast. If I'm not out for a run or in the yoga studio, you can catch me volunteering at my local hospital, laughing with my friends while out for coffee, or tuning in for the latest episode of Dancing With the Stars. Feel free to say hi if you see me around; I'm most likely that girl with a pair of sunglasses on top of her head even if it's cloudy outside.