Why You Should Live Your Life As a Main Character

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Ever since I was young, I loved to read and write. Because of that, I love storytelling. I’m a talkative person by nature, meaning whenever you are with me, you will have to physically tell me to shut up for me to stop talking. I tell people what happens to me step by step as if I’m narrating a story because I am. From a young age, whenever I have particularly exciting moments in my life, I fantasise as if I am in a movie or character in a book. The reason for this is simple. I am the main character. 

I do not say this in a narcissistic way. There is nothing wrong with being the main character if you strike a healthy balance of what is actually happening and imagining what could have been. When I fantasise my life, it is happening in that current moment where there is a narrative in my head. It often happens when I’m alone deep in my own thoughts like going for a walk or even just crocheting on my couch. Everyone is the main character in their lives, and they should be. It is the only life you have, the only life you can control, the only life you can narrate. So, make it action-packed! 

You may also be the main character in somebody else’ story too, whether that be someone incredibly important to them, their love interest, maybe even an enemy. But I would also happily be the whacky sidekick of someone else’ story if that’s how they view me. I’d still be the same person, just from a different perspective, a different novel if you will. I may not even be a character at all or maybe I’ll just get one scene. But in my story? Why shouldn’t I live my life as if I am the main character? It’s way more intriguing.  

My friends often tell me they find my life incredibly entertaining because I have so much to say that is unexpected. They find it funny actually that so much shit can happen to one person where sometimes they even look at me as if they think I’m joking when I update them through voice notes. I don’t wish I was. Living through experiences where you genuinely ask yourself ‘Did that actually just happen to me?’ is part of the thrill of the unknown. Whether that be almost getting into a car crash, being awake through a procedure, pet sitting a mantis that died on me, being racially abused, or a lightbulb moment that sends your entire life into an existential crisis and changes your entire way of life. It provides a talking point, a conversation, inspiration for the future book I want to write. I have a lot of ideas to work with, but the importance is how you tell the story. 

Living your life as the main character helps you understand your self-worth. You realise the importance of your life. It is not more or less important than someone else’, but it boosts your own self-esteem because you understand the value of your existence. With that, you will live your life fuller. Main characters don’t waste a second of their day because they realise how precious time is. This is not to say not to rest or stop for a second, but every moment they live is appreciated, cherished and are extremely grateful for being able to experience. Maybe it was because it was a challenge you got through, you learned something from it, you exhibited an emotion. It is a wonderful way to practice gratitude and acceptance of what you have without really doing anything but live. You can build positive scenarios that don’t just enhance creativity but also your happiness in being able to see the light come through. When horrible things happen, think of it as the turning point in your book, the plot twist of your movie. Remember things happen for a reason, and what you thought or wished could happen, does not happen because something better will develop. Then comes the climax.  

Everything single thing you experience is yours. What you do with it afterwards is up to you. Some people like to journal, some people keep it to themselves, some people overshare. But the important thing is to live your life to its potential because it’s important! You are lucky enough to be here, so cherish every moment and live. Live as if the next day will be the last page of your novel, the end scene of a movie, the cliff-hanger to the next series. Live your life as the main character. 

Business Management and Psychology graduate from the University of Aberdeen '22