books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Why We Love Dogs!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Okay so maybe we all aren’t crazy dog lovers like me – who scares and chases dog owners down the street to get the chance to pet their dog – but we cannot deny the happiness that a dog can bring.  There is a reason why dogs are mans best friend.  Who else welcomes you every morning like you are the most important person in the world, and that they missed you those 8 hours that you were asleep.  They are always up for some snuggle time and walkies, not to mention they alway compliment your cooking and will help clean up any spills.  Who else could steal your lunch but then make your heart melt with those puppy dog eyes to say sorry (and that’s saying something coming from my love of food).  Not only can just a wag of their tail bring happiness but dogs can help us in so many ways – some miracles that could even serve as lessons to humans!

1.  Studies show that dogs can held reduce stress levels and lower blood pressure.  Pet therapy has been used in a variety of helpful ways from spreading their love with the elderly to the stressed out students of the University of Aberdeen.  Last year the university seen a very successful “Puppy Room” in which guide dogs were brought into the university for students to come in and pet them.  Some fancy scientific term, “biophilia hypothesis” (a therapy which suggests that there is an instinctive bond between human beings and other living systems) suggests that the reasoning for this calming affect is that in seeing these dogs in a peaceful and happy state, this may instinctively signal to us safety, security and feelings of well-being.  In my biased opinion, I truly believe a friendly cuddle from a dog can make any trouble seem very weak.  Let’s hope they bring back the Puppy room this year!

1.    They are a big help to our troops. The PDSA Dickin Medal honours the work of animals in war.  For any of you which have not seen Sasha’s honour in the news lately, she is to be credited this award for saving the lives of soldiers and civilians by sniffing out explosives and finding safe routes for soldiers.  No one can deny the importance of this dog’s role.  Their exceptional sense of smell have been used in a variety of roles such as police dogs used for sniffing drugs and detection work within the military (other dogs like Sasha) 

1. They can pull a boat full of 12 people to safety.  At once. Throughout history certain breeds of dogs have been used in all sort of ways to help in the water.  Historical Newfoundlands were used for hauling in nets, carrying boat lines to shore, retrieving anything which feel overboard and rescuing shipwrecked and drowning victims.  Nowadays they can be used to help out in similar jobs.  Some dogs go to work every day as water rescue dogs.  They can jump from helicopters and help people drowning in the ocean by pulling them to safety (almost effortlessly).  Their impressive strength can even pull a boat full of 12 people to safety!  The dogs love the water too, so they are happy to help! It’s more like a game for them

1.  Medical detection dogs. Again their innate sense and impressive sense of smell allow for medical miracles!  Medical detection dogs assist with cancer detection and also support individuals who live with dangerous health conditions.  Dogs can be trained to identify the smell of cancer.  There have been stories of dogs alerting their owners to some problem, for example by obsessively licking a certain part of their masters body – which has then lead to the owner finding out this was cancer.  Nowadays, there are hopes for dogs being trained and used as a non-invasive method of detecting cancer.  On top of their support as guide dogs to people of defective sight or hearing, they have also been trained as medical alert assistances.  They can detect low blood sugar levels (Hypoglycaemia) which is commonly caused by diabetes and other very dangerous health conditions including Addisonian crisis (causes severe pain, convulsions and unconsciousness).

1. They can teach us to put certain things into perspective.  Meet faith.  Yes, that’s right she’s a two-legged dog that has learned to walk on her two back legs!  This special dog can teach us that you really can get through anything.  Faith was born with two dysfunctional front legs, vets all recommended her to be put down but her owners refused to give up just yet.  As a puppy she had to drag herself along the ground but they were told that if she were to continue to do this she would rub a hole in her chest.  Her owners knew it was time for a miracle, and that is what happened.  They started encouraging her to stand on her back legs with some peanut butter and this progressed to her hopping around happily like a kangaroo.  Faith’s story has managed to inspire us as humans.  She has also been made an honorary sergeant in the U.S. army for inspiring and bringing joy to disabled war veterans.  The name could not be more fitting.

1.  Dogs really are a mans best friend. With my dog’s obsession with food I wonder sometimes whether I am just a food provider/belly rubber to her, but I know deep down (tell myself) that there are bonds between dogs and their “owners” that mean they truly are best friends.  Some emotional demonstrations of this is that of the stories of dogs mourning the passing of their “masters”.  Hawkeye displayed his true affection and grief of the loss of Navy SEAL, Jon Tumilson.  At his funeral Hawkeye walked to the front of the room and laid down next to his best friend – showing his loyalty until the end.  There is a further powerful story of the German Shephard, Capitån.  The exceptional part of this story is that his master, Miguel Guzmån died in hospital and his body was taken to a funeral hime far away from where he and Capitån had lived.  Capitån was found, after he went missing, sitting at his Miguel’s grave, at a grave yard he had never been to before.  He continued to visit Miguel’s grave every single day, at 6pm.  A true display of affection.

If you now don’t love dogs I don’t know how else to convince you…but I know that deep down inside you really do!

http://faiththedog.info\