This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

When being invited to a Spotify Wrapped party a few weeks ago, it shed light on how little I know and how little I care about celebrities and their lives. With the rise of the influencing game, reality tv shows, and minimal attention span that allows our brains to find joy in living vicariously through celebrities’ lives, I start to wonder – why do we care so much about celebrities? 

I don’t mind at all if you do, but I have never cared that much about what is happening in the lives of celebrities. Call it the demisexuality in me, but if I don’t know them, if I don’t have that emotional bond with them, I just don’t really care. I don’t find it interesting which celebrity is dating who, how a YouTuber made a fake apology video, or why there is a rivalry between members of the Kardashians. I don’t care how tall someone is, whether they have the same star sign as me, or if their parents were the reason they became rich. Unless it is worth acknowledging like an offensive scandal like Molly-Mae, or if a celebrity did something overly impressive with the power they have, you wouldn’t catch me dead stalking a celebrity’s profile or keeping up with their lives. 

When I started telling people I would be rocking up to the Spotify Wrapped party as Machine Gun Kelly (MGK, or real name Colson Baker), I was surprised by the number of people throwing references to me I had no idea about relating to my own top artist. They started telling me references about how he and his now fiancé (Megan Fox) met, where he supposedly told her ‘I am weed’ after she said he smelt like weed. This party happened around the time MGK had just proposed to Megan Fox, where their way of proposal was on headlines for weeks because it was out of the ordinary. 

I remember seeing the article headlines but never caring enough to look into them – so they got engaged, isn’t that great news? Apparently not, because they drunk each other’s blood and he gave her a ring that would hurt her if she tried to take it off. Whilst I say this is not the traditional way of having a proposal, my question is, why do you care? It’s none of our business really if they want to live their lives that way. So, it is a little different, it doesn’t impact you in any way. Just be happy for them and move on. 

If you are interested in the lives of celebrities, that is perfectly okay with me. It is just something I’m not really invested in because it’s not got that personal touch. There’s no emotion created between you and that person – only an emotion created within you from that person. One of my favourite things to do in life is to speak to people, get to really know them and learn as much as I can about them. I’m intrigued in finding out what peoples’ passions are, what gives them the ick, those deep conversations that you could only ever have with the people you trust the most. That’s what I care about – the people surrounding me and not the person who sung ‘drunk face’, even though that’s a total banger! 

Business Management and Psychology graduate from the University of Aberdeen '22