What is Burns Night and how do we celebrate in Scotland?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Rabbie Burns (Robert Burns) was a famous Scottish poet and songwriter who’s work is known all over the world. His most famous work includes ‘Auld Lang Syne’ – that song we sing at Hogmanay that no one really knows the words to – and ‘To A Mouse’. This famous Scotsman was born on 25th January 1759 and this soon became known as ‘Burns’ Night’; when Scots and Rabbie Burns lovers all over the world celebrate his life and his poetry which is a testament to the proud literary heritage of Scotland. As Burns Night is today, Her Campus thought it only fitting to help you host your very own Burns night celebration!

On Burns night, people celebrate by feasting on a traditional Burns supper. The centrepiece of Burns supper is of course the haggis, which Burns describes as the “great chieftain o’ thepuddin-‘race” with mashed neeps and tatties (turnips, swedes and potatoes). The night is of course not complete without a wee dram (whisky), a bit of tartan and some ceilidh dancing!

To prepare your own Burns supper for two, you will need:

Ingredients:

·       1 haggis – you can find this next to the sausages in any local supermarket!

·       500g potatoes

·       300g swede 

·       300g carrots 

·       Butter for mash

·       Salt 

·       Pepper

Method (cooking time 45 mins):

·       Wrap the haggis in silver foil and bring to the boil in a pan then simmer gently for 45 minutes (you can also cook it in the microwave if you can’t be bothered with this!)

·       Peel and dice the potato and swede. Pop into boiling, salted water and cook for 20 minutes until soft

·       Repeat the process with the carrots

·       Set your haggis ‘free’ by opening the casing down the middle and spooning onto plates

·       Mash the potato and swede with some butter and milk and then season to taste

·       Mash the carrots with some butter and season to taste

And Bon Appétit! It may not be the nicest looking dish on the planet but we can assure you it’s one of the heartiest! P.s. don’t forget that it is traditional practice to read “Address to a Haggis” before eating, a poem written by none other than Burns himself.

In the event that you feel just not quite up to scratch in the kitchen, do not fret!

There is a Burns night ceilidh happening ON CAMPUS where a traditional Burns supper will be provided for you and you can dance the night away without worrying about the washing up. And even better the night is all in aid of charity. The UNICEF On Campus Society are hosting their Burns ceilidh on Friday 29th January in aid of their campaign, Children of Syria and Yemen.

Image from the UNICEF on Campus Facebook page.

£15 will get you lovely lot –

·       A tasty dinner of haggis, neeps and tatties

·       Fantastic live ceilidh band to get us through our reels

·       Free entry to Underground for the after party

·       Your hugely appreciated donation to UNICEF

·       And there will be a raffle full of great prizes!

What better way to spend a Friday night in chilly January?

I am a fourth year law student studying LLB Hons and about to enter the scary world of work. My passion is gymnastics however I recently suffered an injury putting me out of the sport for 2 years so I've decided to give writing a go. My favourite things are a relaxing playlists, gin and finding a good book.
Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.