Welcome To The Committee: Emilie Turner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Meet the committee: Emilie Turner

Name: Emilie Turner

Age: 20

Degree: Politics and International Relations

Hometown: Dunblane

Committee Position: Editor

Today we’re chatting with one of our lovely new editors Emilie!

HC: Now, Emilie, we know you’re a well-travelled lady. What did you get up to this summer?

ET: I had a really lovely summer! I went inter-railing for three weeks, visiting all the friends I met on my study abroad year. I then met my family in the French Alps for three weeks, where I went hiking, cycling and swimming (as well as seeing The Lumineers in concert, which was AMAZING!) I finished off the summer working in the Box Office of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, where I had the amazing opportunity to work and interact with people from all over the world!

HC: You have also spent some time studying across the pond. What would you say are the biggest differences between British/Scottish universities and those in the USA?

ET: Apart from the weather? For me the biggest difference I noticed (and enjoyed) was the way that classes were weighted. In Scotland, you usually will have an essay and an exam, and that is it. In the US, however, you would get 10% of your grade for participation, and 30% would be a midterm, and another 20% or so might be homework given. There was also the opportunity for extra credit. That meant that when you did eventually head into finals week, you had a good idea of where you stood. It also meant that even if you had a bad day on one of these tests it wasn’t the end of the world, as it wasn’t worth a major part of your grade! Some people might see that as more work, but it meant I was less stressed, and actually had more time to do other things, like road trips!

HC: This is going to be your first year as a HC committee member, congratulations on your position of an editor! Now, as a fellow editor, I have to ask – what was it that made you want to run for this position? Also, what made you join Her Campus in the first place?

ET: When I came back from the US, I was keen to meet as many people as possible. I had seen other friends had been a member of Her Campus previously, and they had all talked so positively about it. I really loved how welcome I was made to feel when I arrived. The group itself is such a mixed group of people, that might not always have interacted outside of Her Campus, but each person is so interesting, and friendly, that everyone gets along! I had had such an amazing and welcoming time when I had joined, that when it came to committee elections I wanted to make sure I was playing an active role in engaging people and making them feel as welcome as I had been.

HC: Since you are a Politics and International Relations student, I challenge you to sum up the world’s current political climate in three words.

ET: “Wasn’t expecting that…”

All Photos: Emilies own

Fourth year Business management & Psychology student, shameless One Direction fan and a fashion enthusiast.