This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

In recent years the phrase “Romanticize your life” has become incredibly popular on social media, particularly on TikTok. To romanticize your life means to intentionally find as much beauty in your surroundings, as well as in your everyday habits and objects.

In May 2020, TikTok user Ashley Ward went viral with over 63,000 others using her sound for their own videos. Ward’s inspirational and directive 26-second clip begins with her stating, “You have to start romanticizing your life.” The camera hovers over a group of friends laying on towels at the beach, before slowly zooming in on Ward as her voiceover continues, “Because if you don’t, life will continue to pass you by. And all the little things that make it so beautiful, will continue to go unnoticed.”

This sentiment that it’s the little things in life that matter, is essentially a form of mindfulness. Where you have full awareness of what you’re sensing and feeling while living in the present moment.

Ward’s video has sparked a surge in these types of TikTok creations, with the hashtag #RomanticizeYourLife to have over 1.7 Billion views. Under this hashtag, many creators will give way son how you can romanticize your life. A user by the name of Johanna Sophie says she romanticizes her life by; buying herself flowers, pursuing hobbies alone, reading in the morning, eating colourful foods, and cleansing her personal space. Another user called Carley Rae wrote “Fall in love with the magic of life. It’s all around when you stop and look.”

Being present and appreciating what’s right in front of you can be a powerful act and doesn’t have to take much time out of your day. Many people who use the hashtag #RomanticizeYourLife use it to show off the places where they live or have visited. Filming buildings that we simply walk past instead of fully taking in. Filming the views from their balconies and windows to show us how breathtaking the world really is. There are also videos of people enjoying the rain, showing us that something we may find unpleasant, is actually really beautiful and calming, and how the presence of nature is a gift that should be treasured.

It was during the COVID-19 pandemic when the “romanticize your life” trend really took off. It was away for people to give their restricted lives meaning, whether that was baking, making iced coffee, or taking part in the at-home workout community. Even though lockdown restrictions have long been lifted, Rachel Hoffman, chief clinical officer at mental health startup Real says, “Many of us are still getting reacquainted with ourselves and trying to connect with what brings us joy, which is where focusing on simple pleasures comes in.”

However, arguments have arisen over the “romanticize your life” trend. The opposing views are that romanticizing your life is trying to look at everything in a good way, and making everything out to be happy, even when it isn’t. The opposition brings up that it’s okay to not be okay. A Tiktok user@ocdbrain writes “I think that by doing that (romanticizing life) you’re training yourself to not deal with negative emotions, and eventually you will be mentally burnt out.” Another user @xmhyx_ says “Romanticize life? You can of course romanticize your life but be careful. Don’t ever romanticize your sadness.”

To me, romanticizing your life means choosing to make the small moments count. It’s seeing everyday, every task, every routine, as an opportunity to find joy and beauty in the world. As well as to infuse a purpose, even if it only lives in your mind. Romanticizing your life doesn’t mean every moment is beautiful or even good, contrary to popular belief. It’s not about being happy all the time or enforcing an aesthetic, but seizing the endless potential of ordinary moments.

Emma Nicol

Aberdeen '27

Hi! I’m Emma, an aspiring Journalist from Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire. Writing (and reading) is something that I’ve always felt a connection to, and I hope that comes through in my work.