Selfies and Little Gold Men.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

The most glamorous and star studded red carpet event took place last week just over the pond in the Dolby Theatre, Hollywood. The 86th Academy Awards has, like every other year, provided fantastic entertainment for 43 million TV viewers in the US alone. Presented by the hilarious TV-hostess-with-the-mostess, Ellen DeGeneres, the ceremony began in front of an audience filled with A-list celebs, royalty and very talented production teams.

Despite being thousands of miles away, we in Aberdeen were kept fully in the loop on the goings on due to God’s gift to Earth – Twitter. Speaking of which, your head must be in too many books if you didn’t see the most spectacular selfie of all time which exploded onto the social media scene. The selfie phenomenon reached the ceremony as Ellen tweeted a photograph of herself with the talented front row. With over two million retweets this broke records – and Twitter. I feel at this point we should take a moment to stop and reflect on how beautiful my boyfriend Bradley Cooper is…

After we wipe away our drool it is time to focus on the blonde beauty that is Jennifer Lawrence, who wore a striking scarlet dress. Yes, yet again, this beautiful lady fell over at the Academy Awards. Tumbling out of her car and onto the red carpet Miss Lawrence proved that she is just like us girls. However, she got to her feet without the help of her stilettos (we all know that feeling), laughed, shook it off, and carried on with her head held high.

Another red carpet highlight has to have been our very own Mr Benedict Cumberbatch conducting one of the best photobombs the world has ever seen. Managing to jump up and pull a fabulously hideous face, he photobombed U2 – a few too many glasses of Moet perhaps Mr Cumberbatch?

Now, all our parents wish for us to go to University in order for us to eventually have ambitious professional jobs. Personally, my career aims have now changed having heard this story from the event: pizzas were ordered during the ceremony and the pizza delivery boy got to dish out to the A-listers such as Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. If this wasn’t enough of a treat, he was then handed a $1000 tip from Ellen – IMAGINE?!

There were many awards handed out to many talented people, but yet again my (other) boyfriend Leonardo DiCaprio missed out. My boyfriend Matthew McConahey grabbed the award for best actor, thanked himself and swaggered off the stage leaving Leo award-less for yet another year. This has sparked a social media campaign but not to worry Leo, on behalf of Her Campus Aberdeen, you win every time. You are also more than welcome to have me as your award.

On a happier note, the Brits did us proud at the Academy Awards. With 12 Years A Slave being a British film with a British director and winning best picture we were very well represented amongst the glitz and the glamour of the Hollywood scene.

The Oscars have ended for another year. For the 87th Academy Awards, personally I am planning to be in attendance arm in arm with Bradley, Leo and Matthew. We’ll see how well that goes… but until then, I personally cannot wait for another year full of fantastic films bursting with genuine talent.