This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Today’s Her Campus celebs bonded over their big opinions, big characters and love of all things feminist. Their RGU radio show ‘What the Feminism’ runs weekly throughout the semester.

Names: Anna Hughes McIver, Vicky Parker

Ages: 20, 21

Hometowns: Kirkcaldy and Forfor.

Degree: Journalism BA. Second year and Fourth year.

(that’s Anna on the left, and Vicky on the right!)

HC: So tell us a little bit about the show!

Anna: It’s called WTF – What The Feminism because some people consider feminism to be the worst F- word.

Vicky: We found the format of women’s radio shows like Women’s Hour to be a bit dull. We wanted to be more relatable to students and include music as well.

Anna: I pitched it to Vicki as Women’s Hour meets Fearne Cotton meets Gemma Cairney.

HC: How did you start working together?

Vicky: Anna came up with the idea for the show. Originally I was just going to help produce it.

Anna: We are so different that once we ended up on air together we balanced each other out.

Vicky: I can’t imagine not being part of the show anymore. We are pals now.

HC: Why did you get involved with the radio?

Vicky: In second year I was obsessed with radio drama. I wanted to get involved but not get in front of the mic. Anna managed somehow to change my mind.

Anna: I’ve always loved radio. I hosted a hospital radio show back home.

HC: So why feminism?

Anna: I believe feminism should be talked about anywhere and everywhere. I came to uni after two years of college. I was older and unafraid of being controversial.

Vicky: To me it just means that women are equal to men. I’m gay so women are quite high on my agenda. Not that I don’t like men.

Anna: It sounds pretty cheesy but for me it’s about myself. It helps me to understand myself better. I want to be a princess and a feminist and that’s ok! It’s about being a good person no stereotypes.

HC: So what’s next for you two?

Vicky: After uni I’m planning on heading to the states and hoping to focus on radio.

Anna: I’m living in the moment. I want to study abroad next year and keep the radio programme going when Vicky graduates.

You can catch the girls on Mixcloud to catch up with their podcasts or listen weekly: https://www.mixcloud.com/rguradio/wtf-what-the-feminism-180515/

4th Year Journalism student studying in Aberdeen.
Hi, I'm Rachel! I am currently pursuing a degree in English and Politics at UofA, graduating in 2016. I love all things pink, sparkly and pug related. Proud to be President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.