This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Different religions have different viewpoints on abortion and the acceptable circumstances. 

Buddhism  

• Traditional Buddhism rejects abortion because it intentionally destroys life  
  • Western and Japanese Buddhists permit abortion  

The Dalai Lama has said about abortion: 

“I think abortion should be approved or disapproved according to 
                         each circumstance” 

Therefore, allowing Buddhist leaders to do as they wish in relation to individual circumstances. The final decision is left to the pregnant women.  

Church of England 

The church encourages people to think through the issue of abortion where every case is different and individuals will have different views.  

The church’s governing body, General Synod has said:  

“the Church of England combines strong opposition to abortion with  
                          a recognition that there can be –strictly limited- conditions under  
                          which it may be morally preferable to any available alternative” 

It is important to remember the priests who made this view were celibate and had no contact with women. The word abortion is not mentioned in the bible and out of 600 laws, abortion is not one of them. 

Hinduism  

In Hinduism, abortion is accepted if it is the choice that will do the least harm to all involved: the mother, father, foetus and society. 

Classical Hindu texts state they are strongly opposed to abortion 

Traditional Hinduism and many modern Hindus see abortion as a breach to the duty of producing children to continue family and society. However, when a women’s life is at risk, it is acceptable. 

Hindus believe all life is sacred, to be loved and revered, and therefore practice ahimsa or non-violence. All life is sacred because all creatures are manifestations of the supreme being. 

Islam  

Muslims regard abortion as haram and forbidden, but may be accepted in certain cases. 

However, the Qur’an doesn’t refer to abortion explicitly and there are no actual restrictions on abortion. 

The Islamic view is based on the very high priority the faith gives to the sanctity of life. The Qur’an states: 

“whosoever has spared the life of a soul, it is as though he was 
                          spared the life of all people. Whosoever has killed a soul, it is  
                          as though he has murdered all of mankind” 
                          Qur’an 5:32 

It is seen as the women’s life is above that of the foetus and her choice. 

Judaism 

Judaism does not forbid abortion, but does not permit abortion on demand. Abortion is only permitted for serious reasons. 

In cases where the pregnancy contributing will kill the mother, Judaism insists the foetus must be aborted, since the mother’s life is more important than that of the foetus.  

“if a women has (life-threatening) difficulty in childbirth, one  
                             dismembers the embryo within her, limb by limb, because her 
                             life takes precedence over its life. However, once its head has 
                             emerged, it may not be touched, for we do not set aside one  
                             life for another.” 
                             Ohalot 7:6 

Sikhism 

Abortion is generally forbidden in Sikhism, as it interferes in the creative work of God. 

However, the Sikh code of conduct does not deal with abortion.  

Despite this theoretical view, abortion is not uncommon among the Sikh community in India. There is concern the practice of aborting female embryos is because of a cultural preference for boys. 

Hello! I am a third-year student studying English and International relations at the University of Aberdeen. I enjoy reading and photography.