sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Realisations Of A 22-year-old

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Things that have taken me 22 years to realise

A few weeks ago I turned 22 and lately I’ve had a lot of time to think (22 years to be precise, hehe) and reflect on my life. There are a lot of things I’ve learned and I figured I’d share some of them with you guys:

1. It’s okay to cry.

This one is so important and took me far too long to realise. There is absolutely nothing wrong with crying whether it’s because of a break up, a video clip of a puppy or if you simply do not know what’s wrong.

1. You have to cut toxic people out of your life.

I’ve had to cut out a lot of people from my life, whom I realised took more than they gave. I’ve always been a people pleaser, so it was very hard for me to do this, but in the end I feel so much better. It can be really hard to cut friends out of your life, no matter what kind of relationship you had together, but sometimes you have to be selfish and think about what is best for you.

1. You realise that it’s okay to not have a lot of friends. Quality over quantity.

When I was younger I used to have a lot of friends. But when I got older – and cut the bad people out of my life – I realised that I don’t have very many friends. All of my friends lived in Denmark and were moving on with their lives and I had to do the same here in Scotland. I’ve really started to appreciate having a small friendship circle, because you have a chance to nurse your friendships more than if you’re busy trying to see all your friends. This does not mean that it is bad to have a lot of friends! But I’ve had to tell myself far too many times that there’s absolutely nothing wrong with not being part of every single party and I don’t want that to be an issue for me anymore.

1. It’s okay to be yourself.

This kind of has two meanings: It’s a follow-up from number 3, meaning that I’ve really learned to appreciate my own company and I’ve become much better at listening to myself and what I want. The second meaning is the very cliché kind: be you! Be no one else and do exactly what you want! (this sounds so cheesy, but it is important to be said!)

I do realise that some of you might have learned these things way before turning 22 and some after, but I’m sure it’s something we’ll all realise at some point in our lives. I’m just sharing some of the thoughts I’ve had lately and I hope some of you can get something out of it or at least nod along to how I feel!

Photos: Google images