Pinterest Makes You Resent Everything In Your Life.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

First, a confession: My name is Rachel-Helena Quinn and I am a Pinterest addict. I spend my life gazing wistfully at perfect quality pictures of weddings, home baking, flawless make up and multi-million pound interior design transformations. I admit it. I have a problem.

There is something about Pinterest that soothes me and calms my soul. I love the escapism and fantasyland that the (highly addictive) site creates. It seems that no matter your ability or budget, everybody has the chance to build the perfect life with just a tube of glitter and a Pritt-Stick. 

I have 15 boards and about 1300 images/tutorials pinned to them. I have boards for home design, cooking, hair tutorials, makeup inspiration, quotations and, of course, cute animals. I could spend hours trawling through the internet to find the perfect ‘no heat curl’ tutorial or budget-less wedding idea. I’m sure (okay, not sure, but desperately hoping) that I’m not the only twentysomething girl who’s life has slowly but surely been taken over by Pinterest, so hopefully a few of you out there can relate to this article.

1. You begin to resent all the clothes in your wardrobe because nothing you have ever bought could look this good…

2. You begin to resent all your friends because none of them could take a ‘candid’ (read: heavily posed) picture of you that looks like this…

You begin to resent your hairdresser and the gods of good hair because these bitches exist and neither of them are you…

3. You begin to resent your childhood home because, well…

4. You begin to regret every meal you ever ate because it wasn’t this…

5. You begin to resent ever eating a cake that wasn’t either of these…

6. You begin to shoot resentful glances at your pet because it isn’t this lil fella…

7. You begin to resent yourself for never thinking to hold a cup of coffee whilst having perfectly tousled hair, and for never wearing orange lipstick and sunglasses…

8. You even begin to resent your non sparkly, non amazing bed…

9. You begin to resent every place you’ve ever been that doesn’t require you to dress like this…

10. You begin to resent the gym because you could never look this good whilst running on the treadmill whilst regretting every meal you’ve ever eaten, and even if you could you don’t have this (incredible) top to wear while you’re doing it…

11. You begin to resent every moment you ever spent in front of your mirror because your reflection never gazed back at you like this…

12. Then, finally, you begin to resent your long-suffering boyfriend for not being either of these perfect gents…

So, in conclusion… don’t use Pinterest unless you are prepared to want to change everything you have ever loved about your life. Alternative: google ‘Pinterest fails’ and laugh at everybody who ever thought they could make their lives even half as good as anything on Pinterest; here’s a quick sample of what you can look forward to… Good luck and happy lusting.

Hi, I'm Rachel! I am currently pursuing a degree in English and Politics at UofA, graduating in 2016. I love all things pink, sparkly and pug related. Proud to be President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.