National Theatre Live and Why It’s Great

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Recently I went to see a National Theatre Live performance of No Man’s Land, starring Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart. As I couldn’t get myself to London to see it, I went to a NTL screening at the cinema instead. As well as No Man’s Land being fantastic (because what have McKellen and Stewart ever done that wasn’t good?), it made me realise how great NTL screenings are, so I’m here to tell you about why you should definitely go to one if you get the chance!

Basically, NTL screenings are a great opportunity to see plays being broadcast either live from a performance, or as an encore at a later date. They allow access to a great range of plays, from Shakespeare, to all those other plays you probably meant to see at some point but never quite got round to it. NTL lets you see those plays in a more relaxed cinema environment – so no need to worry about getting yourself to a theatre! Plus, the tickets are way cheaper, and only a little bit more pricey than regular cinema tickets.

If you’ve always been meaning to watch that play, or are just looking for something a little bit different to do for an evening, I would definitely recommend going to see a NTL screening. Plus, with so many different plays on offer, there’s something for everyone!

(image: http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk)

Fourth year studying English and Sociology.