absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Top 6 Places to Eat in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

My Top 6 places to eat in NYC

(Believe me, only picking 5 was too hard)

For the past week, I was hustling and bustling around the Big Apple wishing that I was a New Yorker. I might have Times Square, but the truth is a) I’m not savvy enough b) the subway gave me the black lung and c) I can’t eat the massive slices of pizza on the go with only ONE HAND – I’ve seen it happen folks.

So I decided that on my week in New York to try and eat like a local, and here are my top 6 places to go;

1. Morning coffee – Barnes & Noble (150 E 86th St)

Let’s admit it folks, who doesn’t love people watching? With plenty of people, and books to keep you occupied, Barned & Noble was by far my favourite place to take some me time away from the busyness of the streets. With a café area and seats placed all over the different sections where you can flick through books and drink coffee – it’s a yes from me.

Photo cred: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnes_%26_Noble 

1. Afternoon treat – Cheesecake at Juniors/Eileen’s Special Cheesecake (386 Flatbush Avenue EXT/17 Cleveland Pl)

Okay, so technically I couldn’t decide which cheesecake was better. But in a city where cheesecake is basically a food group, how could I?! Juniors is perfect if you’re after the quintessential diner experience – humongous slabs of cheesecake coupled with Motown music. Eileen’s is a tiny little shop, which has been using original recipes from the 70’s, it is nestled right between Soho and Little Italy – with mouth sized bites of cheesecake, I’d recommend sharing a couple with some friends to try out the different flavours.

Photo cred – Own photos

1. Chinese style dumplings – Fried Dumpling (13-29 Mulberry Street)

Seriously, yes this is the name in English given on the shop front… In the heart of china town, you couldn’t eat a more authentic dumpling even if you tried. This unusual place is one of the weirdest eating experiences I’d ever had. With a tiny little woman selling 6 pork dumplings for 1.25$, you can’t really go wrong, unless you don’t have the right change or she decides that you’re not getting dumplings today – she was a scary lady. Take your dumplings and wander down the street to the park that features in Martin Scorsese’s ‘Gangs of New York’ – We’ve gotta live on the wild side sometimes…

Photo cred – Own photos

1. French cuisine – Raclette (511 east 12th street)

Coming from someone who used to live in France, the birthplace of amazing cuisine, I could not recommend this place enough. All those videos you see of people scraping melted cheese off of a big cheese wheel – this is it! I personally went for the Suisse option; the melted cheese with roasted potatoes, prosciutto, rocket pickles, baguette and of course some wine to be extra française. This teeny restaurant doesn’t seat lots of hungry New Yorkers, so I’d recommend booking to avoid having to wait. But believe me, it’s worth it.

Photo cred – own photo

1. Evening Tipple – Gran Electrica (5 Front St, Brooklyn)

If you thought Brooklyn isn’t the place to be, then you’re wrong. Right beside the Brooklyn Bridge in DUMB, Gran Electrica, is a beautiful bar/patio that transports you to Mexico with its tequila cocktails and rosé sangria.Plus, the walls inside have the coolest wallpaper I’ve seen; Miniature day of the dead skulls being tourists all over New York, especially fitting with Halloween around the corner. If the cocktails leave you feeling a little bit light headed (with that amount of tequila they probably will), try some of their Mexican/American fusion food to tide you over. I’d recommend the fish tacos, they looked insane.

Photo cred – own Photo

1. Best pizza slice – Artichoke and Basille’s Pizza (114 10th Avenue)

I’ve saved the best till last. Pizza is by far my personal favourite, so NYC was my pizza paradise. Why can’t we buy pizza by the slice in the UK is beyond me. At Artichoke and Basille, the pizza slices are not only as wide as both your hands put together, but they’ve mastered the art of a crispy outside yet fluffy inside crust. Take your pizza and wander up to the Chelsea High Line to soak in the view. My personal favourite: Artichoke and Spinach.

Photo cred – Own photo

Student at Aberdeen University studying French and Spanish, anything pink and sparkly and I'm sold.