Meet the Team – The Editors: Freya Bachell and Tasha Eastwood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

So, what are you studying?

FB: I am currently in my fourth and final year of studying English.

TE: English Lit

Where are you originally from?

FB: I hail from the town of Auchterarder. Nobody seems to know where that is unless I mention Gleneagles or say ‘it’s between Stirling and Perth’.

TE: London

Why did you join HC?

FB: Rhona, one of our fab presidents, posted a link on to our English Facebook page about the website and said she was wanting to start an Aberdeen chapter up and it seemed like a really cool idea. After I had checked out the website itself I knew that it was definitely something I wanted to be a part of. It presented itself as something fun, casual and a great way to meet new people.

TE: I knew Rhona before and she had mentioned she was going for President of an online magazine and I thought this sounded like something I would love. Initially my reason for joining was because I was interested in pursuing a career in journalism, and I knew this would act as great experience. And although I’ve decided to take a much different path now, I enjoy it so much and genuinely have a passion for everything the magazine stands for that I never want to have to give up my role! Having an active role in a society with like-minded people is so rewarding too.

What’s been your favourite HC moment so far?

FB: I think I have two favourite moments: The first being the Fresher’s Fayre at the start of term because the positive response we received was so overwhelming and exciting (not to mention the fact that we won best stall at the event!) so I just couldn’t wait to see the society expand. The bowling night was also brilliant as it was such a good way to socialise with the other girls and the bowling challenges that were made up by the social team were absolutely hilarious.

TE: I can’t choose a particular moment but my fave thing about being a part of the magazine is the responsibility of perfecting already amazing articles. I like that we’re not all about controversial titles or scandalous stories that will definitely get hits, instead our focus is on all aspects of life as a girl at Aberdeen Uni. Unfortunately I wasn’t in the country to experience the Freshers’ fayre which I would have loved to have been a part of just to see the society being so well received!

Tell us about your role as editor…

FB: As editors Tasha and I basically read through everyone’s articles that are sent in and do the occasional tweaking of grammar, spelling, images, etc. It sounds somewhat dull but it’s great to read through all the articles before anyone else; we have such imaginative and witty writers on the team. We then send the articles on to Rhona and Rachel (our beaut presidents) and they are responsible for getting the articles online! I think Tasha and I make a pretty good team, we’re always keeping each other on top of things and when one of us can’t do any editing the other will be there to help out.

TE: I think Freya has pretty much summed it up perfectly. Couldn’t ask for a better partner either – she’s a babe!

Away from the idea of studies, and on to something a bit more leisurable…What is your dream holiday?

FB: Probably a week in Paris in the summer. I would spend most of my time drinking tea and cocktails in the sun and go shopping with a limitless credit card (that someone else pays for ideally!). From there I would then travel to Southern Italy and travel along the coastline (if you haven’t seen what it looks like Google image it now!).

TE: I’m not a massive sun seeker – I had an unfortunate sun stroke incident recently that has pretty much put me off sunbathing for life!! (Have decided I would much rather spritz myself with Sally Hanson spray). I much prefer active holidays so it would have to be trekking with a big group in some far off country or skiing in VT!

Speaking of unfortunate incidents, what’s the worst date you’ve ever been on?

FB: I wish I had a really hilarious story for this as it totally seems like something I would have experienced but I’ve honestly never been on a bad date! I’ve been with my boyfriend for nearly three years and when we first started dating he really spoiled me so every date he took me on was really lovely (snaps for Adam). I guess I’m one of those lucky girls who hasn’t been on a really horrific date! Maybe I’m just too picky and didn’t give anyone a chance to take me on a bad date…

TE: Luckily I’ve only ever had one bad experience – I had been asked out for a drink and the guy didn’t buy me a drink. It was pretty awkward as said guy ordered his own and I slowly awkwardly had to pull my purse out my bag… the worst part of it was he said ‘I would buy you a drink but I want to save my money this week’ and I knew his money was just going towards funding a few all-night benders that week. Safe to say I was totally put off!

4th year Sociology & International Relations student/ HC chapter editor at the University of Aberdeen. Sharing my thoughts on life, current affairs, media and occasionally baking.
Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.