Legally Blonde – The Musical Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Blonde, bubbly, and pink are the words you would associate with Elle Woods, the protagonist of Legally Blonde. Based on the novel by Amanda Brown, the movie came out in 2001 starring Reese Witherspoon as the main character. At the end of February, fans of the movie and its iconic main character had the great opportunity to see the musical at His Majesty’s Theatre like I did.

I saw the musical on the 27th of February, and I had already waited months for it.. I didn’t even know there was a musical, so I was really excited. I had one of the best seats as I booked a place in the front rows. The musical opens with the song ‘Omigod You Guys’ where the Sisters of Delta Nu gather together in order to celebrate the forthcoming engagement of their society president, Elle, to Warner Huntington the Third.

If you have seen the movie, you should know what happens next: the break-up and how Elle decides to go to Harvard Law School to win back the heart of her dream guy. Even though the musical is similar to the movie, there are slight changes such as Paulette’s fascination with Ireland and that it is Vivienne Kensington and not Professor Stromwell who encourages Elle to continue with her law studies. You will either way get a lot of girl power and the songs are very catchy. Some scenes seem so ridiculous, yet they’re so funny that you just have to chuckle. And the legendary ‘bend and snap’ scene was of course included in the musical.

What I loved most about the musical , though, was the strong focus on how the relationship between Emmett and Elle has developed throughout the whole story. We get to know Emmett better, who is an ambitious, driven workaholic coming from a modest background. Elle, on the other hand never loses her sparkling personality. Yet again, reading women and fashion magazines such as Cosmopolitan can sometimes be handy to solve a case. Apart from that, Elle rules in the musical by protecting the alibi of Mrs. Wyndham and staying true to herself. The dynamic, the good timing and the powerful voices of the whole cast contribute to the success of this evening.  I just felt good after the show.

Link:

http://www.aberdeenperformingarts.com/events/legally-blonde

Natascha studies English with Creative Writing at the University of Aberdeen, Scotland. She is fascinated by ancient cultures, loves reading books on spirituality, travelling, dancing and doing yoga. Poetry, Pinterest and her encounters with people are her sources of inspiration and strength. Her passion for writing started at the age of eight and she likes writing articles basically on anything from mental health, personal experiences or her favourite music band. She loves spending time with her loved ones and enjoys drinking tea. Song of the moment: Rupert Holmes - Escape (The Pina Colada Song) Favourite accessory: earrings Favourite movie as a child: The Wizard of Oz Book of the moment: Open Wide by Melissa Ambrosini 'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.' - Eleanor Roosevelt
Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.