How ‘Peachy’ is this new Social Media App?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

No one can be blamed for having difficulties keeping up with all of the social media apps these days, many are bemoaning those good old times when we used to talk to each other. Alas! That is not a topic to be discussed now, since there is a new shiny app for us to delve into, try out, praise and criticise.

About a week ago everyone started talking about Peach, a new form of social media which is not quite Twitter, and not quite Snapchat, but somewhere in-between. Let us investigate.

The icon of this app is a tiny peach (was anyone expecting anything else?), which is very cute indeed. All one has to do is tap the cute little thing, register and…

You are most likely to discover that none of your friends have a Peach account, so you start discovering the app for your own entertainment. Similarly to Twitter, you can post short messages and you can attach pictures to them. Apart from pictures, the app allows you to create your own gifs using your camera, and if one gif is not enough to express your current mood, you can create a four-tile gif collage. So far, so good! Now, if you find yourself in a situation where you desperately wish to share something with your (zero) friends, the app offers you a little lightbulb, which gives you a question which you can answer in a post!  Moreover, there are hidden surprises which reveal themselves as you start typing! By typing the letter T, you are automatically offered to “Add current time“, W offers you to “add current weather“, E asks you if you wish to add events from your calendar on that given day and it goes on like this. P offers you to play a game of Peachball (and subsequently post your embarrassingly low score)!

The overall “structure” of the app is reminiscent of Snapchat’s – you swipe left and right to alternate between the list of your friends’ profiles and your personal wall/dashboard/feed/whatever these things are called. On the list of your friends’ profiles you can see when they were last active and what they have posted. The app allows you to comment on and like posts from your friends, as well as your own.

Sadly, the app doesn’t seem to be doing as well as the investors predicted and despite its rapid rise to fame, it seems to have waned just as quickly. Well, I personally believe it does have potential. Two years ago people thought Snapchat died but little did they know! I suppose we shall just have to wait and see.

You can download the app here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/peach-a-space-for-friends/id1067891186?mt=8

Or simply search “Peach” in App store!

Fourth year Business management & Psychology student, shameless One Direction fan and a fashion enthusiast.
Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.