This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

There is nothing like falling in love with a good book. Whether it’s a novel you constantly re-read that sits right at the front of your bookshelves or a piece of non-fiction you just bought, books have the power to make us feel all manner of emotions.

I asked some of our Her Campus Aberdeen members how they decide what their favourite books are to try to work out what makes a book so special, and why they often have such a profound effect on us. 

Emotions play a big role. Both Jaden and Meridyth said that a book having a strong emotional impact on them made them want to favour it. For Jaden, a strong convincing character helps inform the emotions she feels, and she is quick to point out that her two favourite books ‘ripped her heart out’. Megan also mentions that a book remains in her mind if it moves her, even if only for a moment or with a particular quote. 

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neala Hurston similarly moved Mauragh deeply as the captivating narration held her attention throughout the whole novel, making it one of her favourites. I too enjoy a good narrator and if I find myself relating to one, I am compelled to read more, and enjoy the words in the process. 

For Freya, her comfort book is her favourite. She loves knowing every detail of the plot, even down to specific chapters, and doesn’t care that the writing itself isn’t massively great literature because it means so much to her. This is in contrast to Emma, who says she doesn’t often like re-reading things, so her favourites tend to take over her life while she is reading them before finding another soon after. 

For Carlyn and Megan, and I have to agree with them, if they are excited to read a book even after a full day of slogging away at university work, they know it is going to be a favourite. This being said, if I love a book this much, I scarcely want to see a sequel, or extra writing from the same literary universe because I don’t want the book I love so dearly to be ruined in any way. This is something Meridyth also agrees with. Niamh once woke up before a 9am lecture just to finish a book she was loving (I can’t say I have ever forgone sleep like this!), and Lucy wants to immediately do lots of research on a book she is falling in love with, and falls further if the story has an interesting BBC adaptation.

There are a million and one reasons for finding and falling in love with a good book, and we at HCAU hope you might find inspiration in how we decide our favourite books to discern your own. Whether you become obsessed with everything you read like Emma, or have continual comforts like Freya, enjoying what you read is all that matters! 

Iona Hancock

Aberdeen '22

PGDE Primary 21/22 @ Aberdeen 1st Class Honours in Politics and IR @ Aberdeen