This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Schopenhauer’s idea that only music can truly make humans really happy, because of the immaterial essence, is one of my favourite philosophical statements. Why is it that listening to music can be so powerful?! Virginia Hughes, a freelance journalist focussing on neuroscience with a blog on National Geographic revealed: ‘When you listen to a song for the first time, the strength of certain neural connections can predict how much you like the music, and that these preferences are guided by what you’ve heard and enjoyed in the past.’

Many people also relate a song to their own personal experiences. If they hear the melody or the lyrics, they are transported to another time or a specific stage in their lives. This process happens very fast and you cant resist its temptation! Even though your taste of music will change over time, you will always have a list of favourite songs. These songs will never become annoying because this song is either pure genius and therefore stays a classic, or it is one of these pieces of music which has become a part of your life. You feel close to these songs just like you do with a special person

I had a teacher in high school who told us that putting your headphones on is like shutting off from the world. I never really agreed with him; when I was using my headphones, I never had the feeling that I would isolate myself from the world. On the contrary, I would pay more attention to my surroundings and I would change what I was listening to based on the weather! If the sun was shining, I would choose more uplifting songs like ‘Oneby The Bee Gees or Inner Smileby Texas. When it was very cold and you could see grey clouds everywhere, I would listen instead to more melancholy songs like ‘Arethaby Rumer or SOS by ABBA.

However, you can become addicted to music and leaving your mobile phone/MP3 player becomes very difficult, as youre used to listening to music every time you go out! You will see people with big headphones on, so absorbed in their thoughts that they fail to recognise what is happening around them. Sometimes you have to take a break from music, because listening to it the whole day isnt healthy either. So a certain balance is required and you will always find people who dont share your taste or dont understand why you find this particular song so special- but music is very personal, and will continue to be a very important part of my life!

I’ve added a link to one of my own playlists filled with personal favourites here: https://open.spotify.com/user/nataschaewert/playlist/2qC2jGnONYvCbQVv7Z

Natascha studies English with Creative Writing at the University of Aberdeen, Scotland. She is fascinated by ancient cultures, loves reading books on spirituality, travelling, dancing and doing yoga. Poetry, Pinterest and her encounters with people are her sources of inspiration and strength. Her passion for writing started at the age of eight and she likes writing articles basically on anything from mental health, personal experiences or her favourite music band. She loves spending time with her loved ones and enjoys drinking tea. Song of the moment: Rupert Holmes - Escape (The Pina Colada Song) Favourite accessory: earrings Favourite movie as a child: The Wizard of Oz Book of the moment: Open Wide by Melissa Ambrosini 'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.' - Eleanor Roosevelt
Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.